Need advice, IR thermo sensor & Datalog

Martindag

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice for my project.

We are trying to datalog the temperature of a wooden log, it can vary from 35C to 70C. and need to read that temperature from around 5 feets away from the log. ( We were thinking about using a Infrared Temperature Sensor or something like this)

Ideally, we would need to connect this device or PLC into our server to get all the temp recorded from it (with a software if possible or i can always do that stuff in .CSV with excel if there is no choice)
Into our plan, the PLC brand we use is pretty much Allen-Bradley and Omron.
I was thinking about AB Historian but its kinda expensive for what we wanna do with it.

Also we gived a try to PSC-SSS-PM Series from process sensors, it seem not too bad but im sure there is something much better around somewhere that could do the job better.
For now we need only 1 sensor but im sure we will eventually use more so, having that option to add more would be great.
And one last thing, it would need to have input and output to be able to interact with the PLC in the production line.

So if you got any advice on this, lemme know.

Thanks !

Last edited:
That sounds like a fun application. Certainly non-contact infrared sensors are widely available, but if you have the (relatively inexpensive) budget for it, and are using ControlLogix or other devices that can run EtherNet/IP, this sounds like a great application for the FLIR AX-8 thermographic camera.

https://www.flir.com/products/ax8-automation/

How fast will the log be moving ? How do you tell when it's in position to make a measurement ?

Do you have and HMI or any PC workstations connected to the automation system that could handle the visualization and data storage ?

In my contrologix, i can easily know when i have a log into my mill spindle or not. To know when the temperature recorded is from a Log or not.

i Could use something pretty slow for the temperature like 3-5sec sample.

We dont have any HMI on this PLC but we have a PC station yeah that do the calculation of the process.

We are using Ecatcher / E won to connect into this one

Last edited: