Need an inexpensive PLC and software for personal use

I'd usually recommend a Siemens S7 starter kit for this (S7-1212 CPU, KTP400 Basic HMI, TIA Portal with Step7 Basic software, a Profinet cable and some input switches) but I haven't seen them in stock anywhere for a long time. Due to the HMI it would be overbudget either way.

Could always buy the PLC and software separately though, which would be in the ballpark of $500. Avoid the 1211 CPU if you want to try out additional modules as it's not expandable.

whatever raspberry pi you want, and the codesys runtime (runtime license if needed is 60$, otherwise 2hr runtime can be restarted infinitely).

I'm biased because this is the platform I work in the most, but hard to argue with the price of the hardware and free programming software. Includes the device drivers to interface with just about anything as far as industrial comm protocols.

You can try out CCW for free, with a simulator IIRC, to see if you agree with the general concensus (CCW software does feel like a Fisher-Price toy, and the software has some bugs, but it still has a better feel than the AD Click offerings IMO;)).

Another freebie option is RSLogix Micro Starter Lite (RMSL). This can also be used with an emulator. See this video, starting around 01:45, to get those applications. RMSL has the best look and feel of any option mentioned here, so it may spoil you for anything else (IMO;))

Also, as noted eBay is a decent source of inexpensive, used PLCs, such as MicroLogix 1100s, which can be programmed by RMSL.

Do you just want to play/learn and not have a need for physical control? Codesys is free, PC can be used as the target. But it's a bit overwhelming for a beginner IMO. A Click is cheap and easy to learn the basics in.

"CCW is absolute ****!:
That is putting it mildy, ***** ***** ** ****!
The most ill-conceived, poorly executed and buggy software I have EVER used.

Does the free AD Click software have simulation? Might be interested in that for myself.

Edit: I downloaded the software, I am impressed. Might buy a processor, just to play around with. Without digging to deep, looks like to get started, I will need a processor, a power supply and maybe a usb cable, is that correct?

Does the free AD Click software have simulation? Might be interested in that for myself.

Edit: I downloaded the software, I am impressed. Might buy a processor, just to play around with. Without digging to deep, looks like to get started, I will need a processor, a power supply and maybe a usb cable, is that correct?

As long as you have a 24VDC power supply, you do not need the click power supply.

If the processor is one of the newer units with an ethernet port all you need is an ethernet cable.

If it is one of the basic units with the two RJ12 ports you need this guy: https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/cables_(terminated)/hmi_cables/ea-mg-pgm-cbl

I would spring the extra money for a processor with an ethernet port over the RJ12, personally.

"CCW is absolute ****!:
That is putting it mildy, ***** ***** ** ****!
The most ill-conceived, poorly executed and buggy software I have EVER used.

I agree, we'll only use it if the customer absolutely requires it.

The sad thing is Rockwell still has nothing but positive things to say about it.

Such a shame the Micrologix is going away.

Click does not have a simulator, or I should say I have not been able to find it. A/D DoMore software is free, very similar to click (many of the same instructions), and does have a simulator.

The Click Plus ethernet models can also be programmed with a USB micro cable. When using the ethernet cable for programming, you can even do run time edits!

I don't see anything with Rockwell's name on it being inexpensive, but maybe I'm getting gouged.

Click comes to mind for inexpensive that works as expected. I used a TECO smart relay type of device before that was less than $100.

I don't have enough experience with it to recommend but some of the Codesys options might be a good choice and perhaps more future oriented, if you want to learn some relevant skills for down the road.

Good luck!

Tell us how you really feel Paul :D , Its not as bad as it was and getting better....

does getting better mean you can actually cross reference a tag and find it without it crashing now? or have it move at faster than a snails pace at all times when switching windows?