Need devicenet backup crash course

The most common serious mistakes I see are:

1. Plug a device that's hard-set for the wrong baud rate into the network.

I'm assuming this would apply to connecting a 1776-KFD for communication as well. If so, how do I know what the baud rate for the network is prior to configuring the 1770-KFD to connect to the network with it.

I'm assuming this would apply to connecting a 1776-KFD for communication as well. If so, how do I know what the baud rate for the network is prior to configuring the 1770-KFD to connect to the network with it.

Nevermind, I started reading the manual for the 1770-KFD and saw that it does autobaud.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around eds files and registering the EDS files on my laptop. If I have an unknown device and I need an eds file for it, can I change it in any way or screw it up by registering the eds file. Or, could it change the uploaded information from the device therefore leaving the .dnt file different from actual?