Need expert guidance on PLC

Ajinkya24

Hello everybody. I am into technical marketing of various automation products except PLC's. Recently I have been given the responsibility of after sales support to the customer in field of PLC and drives.
I am still under learning process and i need your golden guidance so as to gain the necessary expertise. I have knowledge of developing ladders in micro-plc's and smart relays. However please suggest me how should i proceed?
I have heard a saying, "One who can program one plc, can program any other". Is it true? I have few questions:-

1) When should i consider, that i have gained satisfactory expertise in PLC programming?

2) How can i make use of my current knowledge in ladder development to learn complete programming?

Awaiting your golden replies. Thank you.

Your statement about programming might be false depends ho answers it. IMO Allen Bradley are much easier to program than Siemens PLCs, and AB seems to be more user friendly. Siemens also uses functions blocks where Ab uses traditional ladder. Siemens can use ladder but my experience with Siemens is not a very friendly one. Also when considering PLCs I know aged veterans that are constantly learning after being in the field for years. So my best advice for you is look into taking some online classes or a webinar or seminar that can teach some PLC logic.

1) When should i consider, that i have gained satisfactory expertise in PLC programming?

2) How can i make use of my current knowledge in ladder development to learn complete programming?

Awaiting your golden replies. Thank you.
1) After you have spent SEVERAL YEARS actually programming PLCs.

2) Put it on your resume when looking for the job as a programmer.

Please do not take this wrong, it is just that there are already too many people in the post sales support business who know nothing about programming other than what they have read in a book.
When an IMPORTANT customer needs help with a product it is most likely that the customer has already read the book and needs something more.

Your statement about programming might be false depends ho answers it. IMO Allen Bradley are much easier to program than Siemens PLCs, and AB seems to be more user friendly. Siemens also uses functions blocks where Ab uses traditional ladder. Siemens can use ladder but my experience with Siemens is not a very friendly one. Also when considering PLCs I know aged veterans that are constantly learning after being in the field for years. So my best advice for you is look into taking some online classes or a webinar or seminar that can teach some PLC logic.

Please don't do this unless you have a clear knowledge of your product and how it works 100%. After contacting AB a few times I know more then some of there tech support on a few cards for there PLC's. IT seems that they only keep knowledgeable people around that know the most up to date products, but yet lack when you need info on older products.