Need Help Fast!

Taking the panel out of the equation: in the PLC software, commands can be called out for jog, Speed, Accel/Deaccel, Creep... and the panel view can be added later. Once the PLC is programmed with these equasions in place, then you can add any panel view and attach it via serial port to the DL05.

Do you plan on using ModBus to communicate to the HMI? I can not recall if the standard PV comed in a ModBus version or not. I don't think the AB PV is going to talk to the AD directly over DF1 or DH485. If you have any supporting docs. please point us to them.

Do you have the equipment already? I would recommend using a C-More panel I made the transition from Panel Builder32 to C-More very easy.

The PV will connect to the PLC via ModBus. For now, the PLC programming is our main concern. In the PLC software, commands can be called out for jog, Speed, Accel/Deaccel, Creep... and once the PLC is programmed with these equations in place, then you can aquire add a panel view to control these equations.

...and once the PLC is programmed with these equations in place, then you can aquire add a panel view to control these equations.
I think the problem in communication is caused by using "panelview" as a generic name. It is a trade name for the Allen-Bradley operator graphic panel. The real "Panelview" can only communicate via certain protocols, which are not compatible with your Automation Direct DL-05 PLC.

Try substituting graphic operator panel, or HMI panel, or graphic/text display screen when you do not mean a specific brand and model.

The next step is to write the logic to control the Servo. I think you will find it difficult to start WITHOUT knowing WHICH HMI panel you will use. Many of the PLC commands to RUN, JOG, CREEP could be written so that the interface to the operator panel is mostly generic, but for the low-end DL-05, you may find that you need to define the exact "C" memory register locations for the operator panel. That means that you need to go ahead and pick a compatible operator panel for your DL-05. Automation Direct has easy-to-follow guidance to pick an operator panel at AutomationDirect.com. I suggest the Automation Direct C-More Touch Panel, or the Automation Direct Optimate OP-1500 or OP-1510 at this link:

http://web5.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Operator_Interfaces/Optimate_Text_Panels/Optimate_1000_Series

Last edited:
SLC_Integrator said:
Toss the AD doorstop piece of junk and stick something else in!!!

;)

Ok I have my flameproof gear on - fire away :mad:

LOL. How does that asbestos suit fit?

AD is just peachy fine.
AB is over priced on all ends. ( the part number *is* the price :) )

The AB software is light years ahead of ADs

The AD stuff is perfect on all ends for smaller projects. DL06 is about the largest I'd go. the Rack systems AD has are fine. Its their software that holds them back. If I need a rack level, its AB all the way!

(thats programing software. Firmware is fine)

I'd say its Snap-on vs Craftsman. Snap on is better but *far* from the best value.

(AD's major fault is the BCD, Oct, Hex, Dec fuster-cluck)

Last edited:
Do yoy have any software? Are yoy going to buy any in the future? How many of these projects are you going to do? What I am getting to is this. AB to me is the top of the line but it is pricey. If this is a one time deal ... low end ... maybe it will work ... I don't know if I can do it type deal. Go low end. I would even consider Crouzet. I have done many projects with a $150 - 200 Crouzet and the software is dirt cheap. The HMI is on the from to the controller. No it isn't a PLC its a programmable relay ... its pretty cool tho i bet a bunch of these guys have used em or a similar brand.

I'm all about about doing a great job for a soild price. I try to evualate all ways before starting. I have been on both sides of the fence as a customer and as a contractor so I understand the game pretty well.

With as little detail as you have given it is hard to get a handle on your exact needs.

PM me if I can help

We do have DirectSoft32 software for AD. I agree that AB is the better method to go for quality, but for testing, one time, low end deals - AD is a better plan. In our case we do about 95% Allen Bradley and 5% Automation Direct on our projects. For the first timer in PLC programming - I was the lucky one.