Need Help With Ab Guardlogix

pat@magnum

Having dificulty making heads or tails of the software. My background goes back to the days of the Omron S6 PLC's. I have experience programming most brands of PLC's with most of my experience with AB and GE - but I'm just lost with this stuff. Even their ControlLogix was straight forward compaired to the GuardLogix. I only need to check a couple inputs, if valid enable an output. Another input will reset for recheck - sounds simple ......

GuardLogix uses RSLogix 5000, just like normal ControlLogix. Configuration of the safety I/O and the safety task is a little more complex, but the instruction set and the editor are very similar to the standard product.

Rockwell has a handful of non-Logix safety controllers and they are, I agree, a lot different. RSLogix Guard Plus software for the GuardPLC, and the editor built into RSNetworx for the SmartGuard 600 controller have a totally different learning curve.

Which exact product are you using ?

GuardLogix 1200.
Was suppose to come with "light" version of the software, but was apparently discontinued. I know when I worked with ControlLogix platform I had Ladder functions on the toolbar. ContolLogix did not seem that foriegn to me, had my ladder environment - only real difference seemed to be data addressing as I recall.

I do think you need version 14. Because the RS Logix 5000 Software went
from Ver. 13 to Ver. 15. I would also make sure your RS Linx is updated.
We had a problem with it crashing ,until we did those updates.That was
about a year ago.

Let's be specific.

You have a GuardPLC, not a GuardLogix. RSLogix Guard Plus does look and work very differently from the RSLogix 5000 environment that most Rockwell users are accustomed to.

I have only worked with GuardPLC and RSLogix Guard Plus in lab environments, so I probably couldn't turn around and teach a class on it.

Your first step ought to be seeking out documentation. Do you have any collateral other than the software CD ?

If you search the RA Literature site with the keywords "GuardPLC 1200 System" you get about 10 hits including the Programming Manual.