Need help with communications for CompactLogix 1769 Processor

kandymann

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello

I am new to setting up communications between my PC and my 1769 L32E proccessor. I have been trying to figure this out but no cigar.

Status Lights on Proccessor:

LINK: Solid Green
MS: Solid Green
NS: Flashing Green (need help here)

The Network Status (NS) flashing green condition implies that NO CIP connections are established. What are CIP connections? and how do I establish CIP connections?

Thank you all very much for your help!

Kandy

Since you noted the "No CIP Connections" state, you've probably seen the ENET-UM001 manual, "EtherNet/IP Modules in RSLogix 5000 Control Systems". This is the manual you definitely need to have to use EtherNet/IP with CompactLogix. Like all RA manuals, it's downloadable from literature.rockwellautomation.com at no charge.

CIP is the Common Industrial Protocol that RA uses over Ethernet. A CIP Connection is a communications connection between two devices using that protocol. RSLogix 5000 talking to a CompactLogix uses one or more Connections. CompactLogix running an I/O block uses a Connection. The absence of Connections just means that nothing's talking to the controller yet.

Out of the box, CompactLogix Ethernet ports don't have an IP address assigned. You can use the RA "BOOTP/DHCP" utility to assign one, or connect to the serial port with an RSLinx Classic DF1 Full Duplex driver and use RSLinx to configure the Ethernet module.

It's a little counterintuitive, but the IP configuration of the Ethernet daughtercard in the CompactLogix is independent of the user program. It's saved in nonvolatile memory on the daughtercard module itself, and is not over-written or configured inside the user program.

Thanks Ken

I was just about to post that I figured it out and my NS is now solid green. I can communicate with the proccessor now.

Now the problem is a flashing green on the I/O

I/O not responding

Arrg...got any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this problem?

So I understand that I must configure my I/O modules.

I have three modules

In slot 1: 1769-IA16/A Rev 2 (F/W Rev. 3.1)
In Slot 2: 1769-OW16/A Rev 1 (F/W Rev. 1.1)
In slot 3: 1769-IF4XOF2/A Rev 2 (F/W Rev. 1.1)

What does the (F/W Rev. X.X) indicate?????
Is this the revision I need to place in the configuration or the other Rev?

When I try to configure my Revision in the properties menu, I can only select a revision 1 or 3 in the drop down box. There is no Revision 2 to select.

The electronic keying is set to compatible.

The /A means "Hardware Series A", which is sometimes followed by a hardware Revision number on the product label.

Hardware Series are important: RA will often increment a Series letter when a major functional change is made, but sometimes increments the Series letter just because of a component or packaging change that does not change functionality.

Hardware Revision is only important to the factory, for tracking layout and component and production.

It's the Firmware Major Revision and Minor Revision that are important to RSLogix 5000 and the Electronic Keying function. When you are using Compatible Keying, you want the Major Revision to match in the software and on the hardware.

So, for each module's configuration in RSLogix, select the Major Revision in software equal to the Major Revision you find on the label or via Device Properties in RSLinx.

Thanks Ken

I am a dummy. I forgot to check RSlinx for the revision. I checked it and the input module is 3.1, output 1.1, and analog 1.1

Ok, so I configured the correct revision.

I downloaded a test program and it is still flashing green

I/O not responding. I madee sure the end caps are pused to the left and the lights on the I/O modules are on but no cigar.

Do you have any other recommendations?