Need IC to send signal from 120V source

Dr_Bob

I have a 120V signal coming out of this hardware to go to something, which can either be wired or wireless on its own network or connected to our internal wired/wireless that will send an email to a company.

Basically we have a sand sensor that when it goes off, time to order sand. The probe bought, about $400, outputs a 120V signal to power an alarm or light. Need it to interface into a IC or device to link to a PC program so I can automate a script to send an email saying, "Buy sand".

Not looking for a full design on the system but more of a "Hey this item can interface w/ 120 and when activated sends a signal/email/warning to a PC with X software." I know it can be done a lot of ways with expensive PLCs. Since this is its only job, curious if anyone knew of more economical ones.

Thanks in advance!

Simplest would be a small relay with a 120V coil. Provides a potential free contact closure. PC would need capability to respond to it.

Thanks for the reply. I had stumbled on this:http://www.controlbyweb.com/x301/

Which is the closest thing I could find to do what I wanted. Doesnt integrate with a PC but does the network. Emailing the company you linked to see what their cost would be. If cheaper, will be going that route.

Dr. Bob,

You could try searching for:

digital input interface for Windows computer

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&pq=computer%20digital%20input%20interface%20for%20windows%20computer&cp=0&gs_id=29&xhr=t&q=digital%20input%20interface%20for%20Windows%20computer&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=digital+input+interface+for+Windows+computer&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=b1508b3d0e075ddc&biw=1024&bih=615&bs=1

There seem to be hundreds, depending on whether you need the interface device to be stand-alone with Ehternet or Internet capability, or simply with a plug-in USB port connection. Some plug-in serial and USB-type brands that I have used successfully are Opto-22 and DAQ.

The DAG DT9817 is about $255 and has 16 isolated digital inputs to a computer USB port.

Last edited:
Arduino will do it without the PC.

Needs the appropriate model and add on hardware.

Most fun factor.

arduino is good, In arduino you can with a ethershield do this without anything else.(costing around 50 $) and a lot of fun. this is simpler, use the relais contact for a contact on a very basic keyboard attached to a usb port. when relais on press a key to send a message. another one is to use an old dialer.