Need to send STRING to HMI

Tom, good point. I guess I am assuming that he is not using inTouch anymore, otherwise why change? I typically do the same thing - let the HMI manage the display interpretation for the data. I am OK with bulky HMI code, as long as the PLC is efficient.

If you have three messages in tags STRING[1], STRING[2] and STRING[3] then set aside another string (HMI_STRING)which the HMI will read.

In the PLC code use COP STRING[1] HMI_STRING 1

Note the '1' as the length in the COPy command. You are copying one string.

And you can save some memory by making HMI_STRING an ALIAS tag, aliased to STRING[0].

Note also you can create your own STRING data-types : the pre-defined one allows for 82 characters. If you have an upper limit of, say, 30 characters, create a STRING30 data-type. Use this UDT for HMI tags that are limited to 30 charcters.