Need Profinet explanation please

Ahh I see,

The Remote IO will be ready in the field. I need to plug into the network that they are on to do commissioning and add them to the project.

I guess I can't do it like I'm used to from Rockwell where I can sit at my desk add field equipment to my project.

Ahh I see,

The Remote IO will be ready in the field. I need to plug into the network that they are on to do commissioning and add them to the project.

I guess I can't do it like I'm used to from Rockwell where I can sit at my desk add field equipment to my project.

Well, you CAN do it at your desk. Instead of using the handy dandy auto detect feature, you manually create the device. You find the correct part number/FW in the HW catalog, create the device, give it the correct device name, etc.

Most (but not all) PN devices get their IP address from the PLC, so you usually don't need to worry about assigning those in the field, just the device name. Note that assigning the device name DOES need to be done while you're plugged in out in the field, for the initial setup.