Need to add servo control

EIC

I need to add a servo motor to an existing system and do some electronic gearing. I have a Logix 5572 processor currently installed and I also have a spare slot for the module. All I want is to control one motor and have one feedback only device (encoder) to gear it to. The motor would be approximately 75-85 ft away from where the cabinet can be installed. My question is what type of components should I purchase and should I use 75-85 ft servo cables or try and get an Ethernet IP drive and mount it somewhere closer to the motor? This will be my first motion project so any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

before going too far please tell us
how closely it must follow?
position or speed match?
What is the application?

We will tell you different solutions

eg application is a printing press - then what you are suggesting will not work
OR
You are adding a powered extension conveyor and it needs to follow the speed of the main conveyor - then this can all be done in the right drive

Thanks for the response!
The application is a filler, I want to remove the mechanical linkage that we currently use (belts) and replace with a servo motor. My idea is to place an encoder on the infeed star shaft which is mechanically linked to the filler and use a servo motor on the infeed worm which will follow the star.
The idea is to make it easier to re-time the worm to the filler in the event of a jam, where as now the operator must remove the belt and turn the worm by hand and replace the belt, the new way he could just move the worm with the HMI and time it that way.

Last edited:
are those belts toothed?
Are the belts jumping teeth when the jam occurs?

Are you aware that you can get a fixed position clutch that pops out when there is too much torque and resets to the same timing as before the overtorque?

Warning I may take some time to respond as I do not always check daily

Last edited:
Yes the belts are "timing" belts and the problem doesn't occur that often, I think that it is more of a want than a need. Plus it will help eliminate some moving parts, there is a pulley and belt system (3 or 4 I think) that will no longer be necessary. Thanks

Last edited:
I am all for updating things myself, but I would go with a clutch myself. We use them for our fillers which are also timing belt driven. The worm and the indeed/outfeed stars have a detent clutch that will kick out if too much force is put on it. There is a limit switch to shut the machine down if the clutch pops out too.

The clutch is a great option but this type of filler worm set up is used somewhere else with a stand alone servo controller and requires the least maintenance of all of them. The difference is this will be a contrologix controller and wont need the stand alone controller. I was just looking for advice on how to proceed and the components necessary. Thanks.
The clutch might be a better option though. This is also a very corrosive atmosphere so parts wear out quickly, I guess the purpose is to eliminate components that tend to breakdown. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Anyone else got any advice as far as the best components to use. I'm looking to stick with Allen Bradley, I just want to know which type of drive would be best to go with.

Depending on the torque you need, you could use the Kinetix 5000 with VPL motors.
You can also use an Ethernet/IP Encoder, (if you're willing to spend the money), and that way the gear would be very easy to implement...

The VPL motor already comes with an encoder, the other one would be your master in the gear system (if i understood well), and you should connect it to the controler.

The VPL motor already comes with an encoder, the other one would be your master in the gear system (if i understood well), and you should connect it to the controler.
So would I need the 1756-M02AE module? Considering that the drive would work via ethernet?
If I hardwire the whole thing would it be smart to use a 1756-M02AE module? Considering I just want to control one drive and one feedback only device?
Thanks for your help!