Need to learn AB as much as possible before Monday.

Monday is when training begins.

I think the wording "by Monday" is give people a bad vibe.

I'm actually being proactive. I would like to learn as much as possible by Monday. It would be great if I could get a very simple environment going. That is my goal. Anything I can pick up is way more than I started with!

All of the posts have been informative so far and I really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Ron

I'd say that someone who is determined to learn this stuff at all costs, could conceivably come in to work monday morning with some idea of how to program ladder logic in RSLogix500. I mean, I learned the basic aspect of the program in one class at college, when we controlled a pneumatic Pick and Place robot with a SLC5/02... Of course, it too me forever to write the simplest program ever, but I can say that it is definitely possible to learn to understand the basics of moving around the program, and how ladder logic works (to some small degree) by monday.

Don't lose sight of the fact that the PLC is just one of several tools you'll have to get familiar with. Being able to understand a PLC program is important, but no less important than understanding how to set up the parameters on a VFD, for example. You'll also need to understand what pneumatic and hydraulic solenoid valves do, how limit switches, proximity switches and photoelectric sensors are applied, how to select a temperature sensor, pressure sensor, flow transmitter, etc, and how to apply them to your control strategy. You'll probably need to calculate what HP motor you will need to do a given task. You might need to know the difference between a servo motor and a stepper motor and the different types of feedback devices associated with them. And the list goes on...

Obviously, you're not going to master all of those tools by Monday, nor should you worry about not doing so. My point is that there is a lot more to automated machinery control than the PLC program. There aren't many jobs where all you do is program PLCs.

Don't lose sight of the fact that the PLC is just one of several tools you'll have to get familiar with. Being able to understand a PLC program is important, but no less important than understanding how to set up the parameters on a VFD, for example. You'll also need to understand what pneumatic and hydraulic solenoid valves do, how limit switches, proximity switches and photoelectric sensors are applied, how to select a temperature sensor, pressure sensor, flow transmitter, etc, and how to apply them to your control strategy. You'll probably need to calculate what HP motor you will need to do a given task. You might need to know the difference between a servo motor and a stepper motor and the different types of feedback devices associated with them. And the list goes on...

Obviously, you're not going to master all of those tools by Monday, nor should you worry about not doing so. My point is that there is a lot more to automated machinery control than the PLC program. There aren't many jobs where all you do is program PLCs.

Probably wouldn't hurt to learn a thing or two about the actual process that you are controlling........
đź“š

That's the spirit Bobbias!

I'd say that someone who is determined to learn this stuff at all costs, could conceivably come in to work monday morning with some idea of how to program ladder logic in RSLogix500. I mean, I learned the basic aspect of the program in one class at college, when we controlled a pneumatic Pick and Place robot with a SLC5/02... Of course, it too me forever to write the simplest program ever, but I can say that it is definitely possible to learn to understand the basics of moving around the program, and how ladder logic works (to some small degree) by monday.

I have gotten the LogixPro simulator working and have found out how to download a simulated pgm, use the spacebar to singlestep through it, and watch how the simulator responds.

I am learning already thanks to all of your help.

Thanks all,

Ron

Yes, I won't just be programming PLC's...

and I won't be starting in a raw environment. Everything is already up and running well and has been for some time. I just need to learn and want to go in with a heads up.

Thank you,

Ron

Looking at programs that are already written is how I learned the instructions and it can give you an idea on the process of what's going on. It's LOGIC--what do you want to happen, and when do you want it (what has to occur first). The cute stuff will come only after you learn XICs, TONs, etc. At least you seem to have a foundation you can build from.

As usual, a lot of good advice has been given here so far. It's 1:17am here so I've just scanned the replies so far, so apologies if I'm reiterating any points...

I am currently the only programmer within our factory (which I do as part of a maintenance position, there are 5 in total in the maintenance department). Our apprentice expressed an interest this week in being taught "plc programming".

In a nutshell, the advice I gave him was that when he has a firm grasp of what the PLC's are controlling, how the machines operate, the technical language, etc, then sure I have no problem showing him. Only a month ago he spent half an hour inside a simple control panel for a conveyor, before coming to me and saying these exact words "the overload isn't moving and the reed switch isn't lighting". To explain further, there are two break-beam sensors on this conveyor (what he was calling a "reed switch"... and you guessed it, his "overload" is actually a contactor). IF sensor 1 AND sensor 2 both have their beams broken, then the contactor is de-energized. There is no PLC inside this panel, it is hard wired logic and this is the only function that will stop the conveyor (other than of course mechanical jamming, power failure, e-stop, etc). The problem turned out to be a layer of dust on the beam's reflector.

My point is that I think that, especially in industry, that a very small amount of knowledge and a "let's try this and see approach" is more dangerous than no knowledge at all and a "I'll let someone who actually knows what their doing sort this out" approach. I have read that you have studied electrical etc, so this is not aimed at you, but to others who will in future read these replies.

The other bit of advice I gave him, is that I would much prefer someone who says to me "I don't understand - can you explain..." than saying "yep, yep, yep, ok" - and not really having a clue.

If this was pointed out previously my apologies. I like the_msp have only scanned this thread.

Please Please be careful. PLCs have the bad habit of doing exactly what you told them to do not what you thought you told it to do_Outputs do something. You won't just get a report with bad data. Equipment could get damaged. Someone could get hurt and it could be you or worse yet. Me!

I just used the simulator to program a 3 switch light...

similar to what you might find in a garage. My head is swimming, but I see how it works. I didn't use any latches, which probably would have made it much simpler. I like a challenge.

I can see I have a long way to go. But if you don't start, you won't go anywhere. I don't know where the road will take me, but heck, I love to travel.

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas,

Ron