Need to replace a sigmatek plc

Davek0974

Hi all, new member, looks like a great forum.

I have three machines with Sigmatek Dias PLC's in them, the maker is not around now and we need to modify them. I can't get any help from sigmatek and am heading towards pulling he Plc's out and replacing them with current models that we can program ourselves.

I have programmed a few before so that's not a problem, what I am looking for is a suggestion for a small format Plc system that has a motion control module as well as the usual I/O ones, we need one motion module plus 16 or more inputs and 16 or more outputs.

Any makes to look for?

Thanks

Dave

From what I have noted so far, there is a servo motor driven by a servo star 600 drive and an encoder which goes to the plc. It's a step-feed type setup, it simply feeds a web of material a known length for each cycle of the machine.

I'm not a 100% certain on the wiring yet and not sure if the encoder goes to the drive amp or straight to the plc or to both.

Anyone recommend a PLC system to look at (UK don't forget :) )?

Sorry about the late reply. I did some reviewing of the Star 600 manual and it looks like it just needs an analog input (I didn't see where it could be set up for positioning), so just about any PLC with digital and analog I/O should work.

You need to give the machine in question a through going over to check to make sure that the drive only has digital and analog I/O before ordering any parts though.

As for brands, I'm fond of AutomationDirect. I don't know what you would have available on your side of the pond.

Thanks, I think one of these will do it...
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...4VdvxPSJHcsbpLSGek9NheLRzGrKza_tZoaAgn-8P8HAQ

The ServoStar drive appears (by the connections) to be getting an enable input plus step and direction signals only. It just needs to move a set amount each cycle and hold, pretty certain any motion module will do that.

There are other drives too but luckily they are self-contained and only need an enable signal.

Just realised I have an Allen-Bradley SLC500 sitting on the shelf, with the purchase of a stepper/servo drive module, I think this would work???

It's a bit physically bigger but pretty certain it has what i need.

Also have an HMI and software for it.