Need your recommendations for wiring 10 Valves and 17 Sensors

piscis

Need your recommendations for wiring 10 Valves and 17 Sensors

I will like to locally wire all these signals and run a single multi cable all the way to the controller; the distance is approximately 14 feet. The controller does not have any kind of network connection, so everything must be hardwire on both sides.

Please let me know which products you recommend.

Thanks

I'm tempted to just say insulated copper. I do think you need to give some more information. Are all the field devices the same voltage? What is the problem with just running wires in a conduit? 14 feet is not a big deal.

brucechase said:
I'm tempted to just say insulated copper. I do think you need to give some more information. Are all the field devices the same voltage? What is the problem with just running wires in a conduit? 14 feet is not a big deal.
Why insulate it Bruce? As long as the machine has a good coat of paint on it I would chance it with uninsulated wire over 14 feet. Just keep the wires evenly spaced apart.

I couldn't help it:)

Is it a valve bank or are the valves scattered about? What about the sensors, how spread apart are they?

as mentioned, it depend on what you have there.
in many cases valves will be installed on one manifold so single multiconductor cable to
valve block is all you need. inputs are normally scatered all over machine so what we do
for small job like this is run another multiconductor cable to a junction box and have all
sensors terminated there. since we do custom machinery and change requests often come
even after product was running for a while, we try to leave spares everywhere...
so that 17 input will probably be 25 conductor cable for example (it all depends on job).
higher voltage or ampacity get special treatment meaning they get dedicated cable (or conduit...).

Distribution Box!!

Sounds like you need a DISTRIBUTION BOX to solve your problem.
Murr, Turck, Lumberg and many other manufacture a DISTRIBUTION BOX product. You Won't get all your I/O on a single box but you will have only two or threee multi-strand cables going back to your PLC.
The highest I/O point count I know of is the MURR MVPS8 modules, these have up to 10 i/o points per distribution box.

DISTRIBUTION BOX sounds great, do anyone knows of a website where you can buy them directly online with a Credit Card? I need it for Sensors-Actuator, 8 ports, any brand will do.