Network options SLC 5/05 and Panelview 6

That's what we've been talking about using. But then how do you connect to the SLC to do programming? You would have to disconnect the PV+. Ethernet is much faster and can go up to 328 feet this way. A serial cable can go 25 ft. max. without using some kind of extender.

Honestly, I would just set it up with a crossover cable and either use a serial connection to program the PLC or unplug the panelview and plug it back in when you are finished. For the panelview, i would just use a USB drive or compact flash to move a new program into it. Since you are going to have to physically access the devices to communicate with them no matter what, its about the best you can do. If you use a serial connection over the long length required, it introduces a lot of places for failure while still having an extremely slow connection even when things are working flawlessly in the best case scenerio.

Main thing to remember is this: The panelview will have to talk to the PLC every second of every day. Once the thing is up and running, you SHOULDN'T have to edit the programs very often.

Last edited: