Network slowly when using 1756-DHRIO and 1756-ENBT to bridge between RSView32 and PLC

bekrab

We have DH+ network on 6 PLC5.
We have RSView32 as a HMI.
Previously we link HMI with DH+ network by 1784-KT card but we have a problem on some node drop from time to time without any error.

So, we try to use Gateway Rack on controllogix platform by combination between 1756-DHRIO and 1756-ENBT.

This config is work. We can link RSView32 through gateway rack to DH+ network.

The one problem is response time. When we change setpoint in HMI, It is very slow (about 30 seconds) before we can see feedback in HMI.

Please advise.

Last edited:
What version of RSView32?
RSLinx?
Operating System?

Do you have switches and routers and other devices on the ethernet side?

Even with the gateway, you still have 7 nodes on DH+, so depending on how efficient your communications are structured, delays of a second or two are normal.

Delays of 30 seconds would make me look at wiring first, then packet rates on both networks (DH+ and Ethernet).

OkiePC,

We use WindowXP SP2.
RSLinx 2.51
RSView32 7.1
There is no any device or PC except one RSView32 station connect on Ethernet network side.

We test by connect DH+ by using PLC5. Response time when we enter setpoint is normal.

So, We try by connect DH+ by 2 PLC5 Response time when we enter setpoint slower than one node. It is about 3 seconds.

When we connect 3 PLC5 into DH+ network, now we got response time about 8 seconds.

all PLC5 model is 5/30.
Number of tags per PLC5 node is about 1000 tags which is mixed both analog ,digital and alarm tags.

Is there any suggestion? Please advise.

Thank in advance.

Last edited:
If this were my system I would be analyzing it with protocol analyzers to figure out how much traffic there is on the DH+ system and where the delays are coming from on Ethernet.

How many nodes are there on the DH+ network ?

Are any of the controllers sending peer-to-peer messages to one another ? This kind of messaging is very often done incorrectly and generates more traffic than is necessary.

Check the Statistics on the 1756-DHRIO channel (using RSLinx Classic) and see if there are any errors or retries on the DH+ side.

Thank you Ken for your recommendation.

Maximum we have 6 nodes but we test on 3 nodes and got un-acceptable delay.

We will try on your recommend and will let you know soonest.