New 5069 CompactLogix with RSLinx 2.54

phuz

I installed a new CompactLogix in a validated environment and installed the EDS file into RSLinx for the HMI (IFIX) to access it using the OPC driver. Unfortunately, the controller is not showing up in Linx, despite successfully pinging it. Is it that 2.54 is simply too old to recognize the newer hardware, even with an EDS file?

Upgrading RSLinx is not really the most attractive option at this point because of the validated environment.

I can't say for sure, but the Rockwell compatibility site says you need a minimum of 3.81 for RsLinx.

And that's a huge kick in the pants. I assumed (insert joke here) that an EDS import would take care of this. This just became painful. 🔨

On top of that, the SCADA is running on Server 2003 and RSLinx 3.81 does not appear to be supported by Server 2003. This is snowballing rather nicely.

Yeah, I work in a validated environment too, I feel your pain.

Now, You might want to give Rockwell a shout if you have tech connect, because of course I might be wrong.
(But I seem to recall they changed the data structures somewhat on the Clgx controllers between FW 19 and 20, and I think that's what necessitated a RsLinx update.)

Yeah, I work in a validated environment too, I feel your pain.

Now, You might want to give Rockwell a shout if you have tech connect, because of course I might be wrong.
(But I seem to recall they changed the data structures somewhat on the Clgx controllers between FW 19 and 20, and I think that's what necessitated a RsLinx update.)

The thing is, I tested V29 firmware in my office with Linx 2.57 and it worked fine. I am going to grab the controller from the customer tomorrow and bring it back for testing to see what Linx I can get away with, because upgrading the entire server, at this point, won't happen.

So, dumb question, but does it 'see' the device at all? Like as a question mark if you manually add it to the ETH driver?

I have a VM running Linx 2.54 and I got the PLC from the customer this morning.
Plugged it into my network, and it shows up.
So why would this not show up under the customer's Linx 2.54?

Capture.JPG

You could try clearing the harmony files on the server but I suspect that if Rockwell themselves say the controller is only officially supported on 3.81 and above that it's for a reason. I would not assume that just because it shows up in RSLinx on your VM on 2.54 that it will be reliable enough to talk though the OPC server forever and that any stray Windows/RA update or the moon being in the wrong phase could break it at any time.

Is your VM also Windows Server 2003? R2?

Are you using auto-discovery?
Does the site have multiple NIC's, or IP's on a single NIC?

Have you tried manually entering the IP into Linx?

You could try clearing the harmony files on the server but I suspect that if Rockwell themselves say the controller is only officially supported on 3.81 and above that it's for a reason. I would not assume that just because it shows up in RSLinx on your VM on 2.54 that it will be reliable enough to talk though the OPC server forever and that any stray Windows/RA update or the moon being in the wrong phase could break it at any time.

Is your VM also Windows Server 2003? R2?

No, but that's the next step. Build a Server 2003 VM and install Linx 2.54.
I thought about the harmony files too, but need to wait for a few hours of downtime. I'd love to fix this without doing a change control. They plan to do a system upgrade in the next few years and move this system away from IFIX and incorporate it into their WW Galaxy, so building a new server wouldn't be ideal.

I'm interested in this validated environment, is this a phama industry thing? What changes require a change control (and thus I'm assuming paperwork and validation testing etc.)? It sounds like a royal PITA.

Could you, for example, spin up a new server or VM to act as an OPC server? Can you install Kepware or the like instead of RSLinx on the existing server? Downgrade the newer CompactLogix for an older one?

In the end, they're operating on obsolete, unsupported software on a server that I am sure is long in the tooth. These things are bound to come up so maybe it's time to cough up the $$$ and do it right.