new ab software activation

irondesk40

Just filled out a requistion to turn and upgrade my allen bradley tech support license.
Have a question.
From what I understand from what i was reading, you now upgrade your software on line and activate it online.
What would you do if you for some reason purchased a new pc or your pc crashed and you wanted to be able to load the software from a cd and activate it.
The reason I ask is that we now travel to a lot of small contracting plants in El Salvador, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and access to the internet is either not possible or slower than a dial up modem.
I myself have had a problem with my pc in one of those plants and had to load the software on another pc in the plant in order to finish what I needed to get done.
As a backup, I normally work on Allen Bradley or Omron PLC equipment, so I always carry a copy of each of them on a CD or data DVD in my computer case just in case. With the Omron you just put in the serial number, with the allen bradley I move the activation to a usb stick with a utility I either downloaded from this site or mrplc.com,
So, after you downloaded the latest Allen Bradley RSlogix 500 and activated it, how could you then transfer that to a CD and move the activation key to a usb stick?

FactoryTalk activation works in the jungle

Software updates are local installation files; the installer doesn't run over the Internet. You can save these on CD or on a portable drive. So you won't have any trouble installing the software, as long as your backup media and your PC don't meet the same fate.

If you install your RSI software onto a PC you've borrowed or purchased onsite, the software will run for 7 days in Grace Period mode. Then things get a little interesting.

If you used a USB HASP dongle to activate the software, and still have it with you, no problem: just plug it into the new PC and copy over the existing License key file.

If you lost the HASP dongle or used your old PC's hardware to activate the software, you will need to activate the software on the new PC by "re-hosting".

If you have a copy of the existing License file (remember that backup CD/drive?) you can use even the slowest Internet connection to perform a Re-Host over the Internet.

If you don't have a copy of the existing License file, you will need to find a way to call RA and get a new License file generated for your software. You'll need the software Serial Number, the software Product Code, and the hardware ID from the new computer. You can do this over any communication link; I have one customer who prepares to do it over the shortwave e-mail links in the South Pacific.

There's a red envelope that comes with each new RSI software purchase that has the Activation Certificate in it. I scan mine and save them as PDF, and that file joins the *.LIC files in my archives.

You can just call Allen-Bradly support and tell them:
1. The local computer is not connected to the internet
2. You do not want USB dongals (they get lost) and you don't want to copy files around
3. Tell them "Send me a key disk today if possible" and they will.

I personally hate factory talk activaition esp after it blew up on me twice. We only use key disk that way if something blows up at midnight we can still run using the key disk.

I know Rockwell is trying to phase out key disks but there are too many people who still want them.

What I did was install the software on multiple computers and use a dongle in whatever computer I'm using that day. I think there 100.00 or less and it makes it alot easier to program on my PC and then transfer to the lap top to download the program to the PLC you can even program at home and you don't have to drag anything but the dongle with you.
Dan