New Compactlogix 1769-L18. Cannot load firmware

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

I purchased a new CompactLogix 1769-L18ER-BB1B. The last CompactLogix L18 I bought last year this time, I had no problem setting up. The sticker on the Controller reads.......

"This series B Controller requires firmware version 20 ( 20.014 and later), 24 or later. [/U]Verify that you are using compatible firmware revision. Failure to
do so will result in the inability to program the controller."

I went to download the latest firmware , and it says it downloaded correctly. But when I go to Control Flash the CompactLogix L18 , I see no
firmware in the "Select the new revision for this update" window.

When I go to download the firmware , I am downloading it to .....
C:\Program Files (x86) \Control Flash.

This is what I have at the moment on this laptop
RS Logix 5000 Ver. 20.01
RS Linx Classic Ver. 3.71
Logix Designer Ver. 21.00

What could I be doing wrong ? I am using a USB cable and I see the PLC in RS Linx . I should also be able to give it a IP Address by using BootP , correct ?

Thanks again , in advance.

When you download a firmware package from the [RA Firmware and Compatibility Website](http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/firmware/overview.page?), what you actually get is a ZIP file which contains an installer for a ControlFlash kit.

I let the website use the Download Manager, and it places that ZIP file into my default directory C:\Users\kroach\Downloads\RA\RAFirmware\1769-Products\1769-Products\

You have to decompress that ZIP file (mine was named 1769-L1y_20.014%20Firmware%20Kit.zip) to get an executable installed named ControlFlash.exe.

When you run that installer, it installs a fresh copy of ControlFlash as well as installing the "kitted firmware" that is listed in the Contents.TXT file that came with the ControlFlash kit.

Once you've done that installation sequence, you should see the new L18 firmware available when you run ControlFlash.

I am using a USB cable and I see the PLC in RS Linx . I should also be able to give it a IP Address by using BootP , correct ?

Over the USB connection you can configure the IP address of the controller using RSLinx Classic, just by right-clicking on the controller and selecting Module Configuration.

You don't have to use the BOOTP/DHCP utility to give the controller an IP address when you're using the USB connection. In fact, I don't think you can, because the USB connection doesn't implement TCP/IP.

Rob,

It's hard to decide from your post whether you realize this, or not...

You can perform the firmware flash on these controllers using either the Ethernet port or the USB port.

While setting the initial IP address is an important step to take here for your project, it does not necessarily have to be the first. You do not have to set the controller's IP address first in order to flash the firmware. You can also use the USB driver directly to do the flash and then set the IP address afterwards.

You can of course alternatively set the IP address first, just to have it done for later, and still use the USB method to perform the flash.

If deciding to perform the firmware flash through the Ethernet port, using the newly configured IP address, then make sure to set it "Static". If you do not, then the flash procedure will hang at "polling for powerup", because the non static IP address is wiped at this stage.

This is also true if you're simply setting the IP address first, but then using the USB port to perform the flash. The IP address will not be retained through the flash if it is not set static.

IMPORTANT: Do not forget to power cycle the controller after you have configured the IP address under Module Configuration / Port Configuration using the USB driver in RSLinx Classic. The new IP address will not work unless you do so.

Once you have that done, use an Ethernet driver in RSLinx Classic to make sure you can see the controller at the new IP address.

With both a USB cable and an Ethernet cable plugged between your workstation and the controller, you should be able to see the controller under both drivers in RSLinx Classic.

When you go to ControlFlash, and select the controller from the catalog list, you can then similarly browse to the controller via both drivers.

My preference is to always perform the firmware flash via the USB port.

Which driver you use is up to you.

N.B. - I would only leave one cable plugged in while performing the flash! The above is just a demonstration.

Regards,
George

Attached you can see how the USB driver has a valid path to the controller for the flash...

USB_Flash_01.png

Last edited: