New Computer set up

I second VMs. They save so much time in a situation just like yours. All you need to do is import your backup image and everything is there ready for you to go. I have a Win7 64 bit VM with all the latest Rockwell stuff (RSlogix 500 v9 /5000 v13-21, Linx 3.61, CCW 6, FTView 7), and a WinXP 32 bit for legacy applications (RSlogix 5/500, Linx 2.59, RSView32, Panelbuilder 32/1400e, Ultraware, and PCIS). I also save all my working files on an SD Card that all of the VMs have access to. I recently dropped my laptop and it ruined the hard disk, so I lost a lot of work (including a weeks worth of cad drawings). I have a new policy of not saving anything important on a hard disk that isn't backed up somewhere.

For activations, you can change the volume serial numbers of your virtual disks to match the disk serial number your factorytalk activation is tied to. Then just copy the LIC file to the appropriate directory on your virtual machines and you're done.

To answer your questions, I would upgrade to RSLinx 3.6. The main reason being is the vastly-improved (i.e. FASTER) EDS installation. I'm using it with RSLogix 500 version 9 on my Win7 64-bit VM without issue. Also, CCW is up to version 6 now and it is a vast improvement from version 4.

I have absolutely no use for RSNetworx, especially Ethernet/IP. I'm sure there are certain things it can do that you can't do anywhere else (I think it's how you program certain GuardLogix controllers if I'm not mistaken), but the only time I've ever used it is commissioning a Devicenet network. So if you don't do that I would wait until you absolutely have to have it to install it. You need to have RSLinx 3.6 installed to install the latest version of RSNetworx anyway. I wouldn't bother though.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input FactoryTalktotheHand.

I've been using VMWare VMs for a number of years now. However, the approach I've taken up to now is to install everything in one VM. I haven't taken advantage of creating snapshots or clones. A few times, I've taken a VM from older laptop to a new laptop and kept the old laptop in storage as a backup (just in case something catastrophic happened to the new laptop).

I recently had a conversation with a colleague who told me that it may be worth considering using snapshots or clones of a base installation and installing only a limited number of software packages in each VM - in order to minimize interactions or side-effects between the different software packages, or different versions of the same software package. Has anyone here taken that approach and if so, care to share your thoughts and opinions regarding this approach?

Nick

Last edited:
Thanks for your input FactoryTalktotheHand.

I've been using VMWare VMs for a number of years now. However, the approach I've taken up to now is to install everything in one VM. I haven't taken advantage of creating snapshots or clones. A few times, I've taken a VM from older laptop to a new laptop and kept the old laptop in storage as a backup (just in case something catastrophic happened to the new laptop).

I recently had a conversation with a colleague who told me that it may be worth considering using snapshots or clones of a base installation and installing only a limited number of software packages in each VM - in order to minimize interactions or side-effects between the different software packages, or different versions of the same software package. Has anyone here taken that approach and if so, care to share your thoughts and opinions regarding this approach?

Nick

I haven't but my colleagues here have. We support a variety of equipment so it has become a necessity. The big problems come with multiple versions of FactoryTalk View. Version 7 won't play with version 6 obviously but the upgrade path is a massive pain in the you-know-what. You could easily spend half a day trying to update the firmware of a version 6 PVPlus, troubleshooting database conversion issues, 32-to-64-bit issues, etc. It's such a major pain it's totally worth just having a Windows VM with FTView 6.0 installed so nothing needs conversion. Same thing with FTV 5. I probably wouldn't even need VMs if FactoryTalk View and Studio 5000 weren't such awful pieces of bloatware.

FactoryTalktotheHand: I haven't but my colleagues here have. We support a variety of equipment so it has become a necessity.

Thanks again FactoryTalktotheHand.

Have your colleagues taken the approach of using VMWare clones or do they use snapshots to create their VMs?

I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's of different ways of creating VMs and am interested in what others have done and if there is a preferred approach.

Nick

FactoryTalktotheHand: I haven't but my colleagues here have. We support a variety of equipment so it has become a necessity.

Thanks again FactoryTalktotheHand.

Have your colleagues taken the approach of using VMWare clones or do they use snapshots to create their VMs?

I'm trying to weigh the pro's and con's of different ways of creating VMs and am interested in what others have done and if there is a preferred approach.

Nick

We use Virtualbox. We had tried VMWare but decided the former worked better for us. We don't use snapshots but instead just clone the drives when we need a new one. We keep a collection of VHDs on a portable hard drive we have floating around with clean installs of XP SP2, SP3, and 7 64 Bit. That way we just clone one of those when we need to set up a new one. But this is pretty rare since the work has been done already. We might set up a new one when we get the Rockwell toolkit in October, depending on how much has been updated.

VirtualBox - I may try it in the future, as it sounds like it works well.

I've stuck to VMWare up to now, as that's what Rockwell rep's have been using (at least the ones I have run into).

Thanks for the info'!

Nick

What VM software are you using? VMWare or VirtualBox?

I am using VMWare Workstation v10.0.7 and Win7 Pro 64 (with a Win 7 Pro 64 host) and USB devices work well for me inside the VM's.

I plug in my USB devices when I have the Win 7 Pro 64 O.S. running inside a VM and it finds the USB devices just fine. Note, for my USB-to-RS232 and USB-to-485 devices I had to install a driver (specific to the chip in my USB adapater) to make this work.

Nick

I have the same issue as phuz but only with my USB 3 ports. I have yet to find a solution. I have tried to install the same driver as the host OS but that did not work.Win 7 64 bit. Still looking for a solution.

Hi Robobob,

I don't know which VM software you are using.

If my memory serves me, older version of VMWare Workstation only supports USB 2 ports. So, if that's your problem and you are using older VMWare Workstation software, upgrading to a later version may help.

I just tried a few tests. Although I have USB 3 support selected, I was not able to use either a Lexar or Sandisk USB 3 drive in a Win 7 Pro 64 VM in a USB port on my laptop. I was able to use a USB 2 drive in that port however.

It appears that there are issues with using USB 3 devices, despite the option being present and selected.

In the Virtual machine Settings for USB controller. When you select USB 3.0 in the compatibility tab a warning pops up stating Using USB devices with a USB 3 controller may require additional drivers to be installed int he guest. This is where I think the problem lies. What driver do you use? I have tried the driver for my host machine, but this did not work.

For USB drives, I have been using just what came with the Win 7 Pro 64 software I installed in the VM.

For my FTDI USB-to-RS232 adapter, I installed the FTDI driver that I obtained from the FTDI web site. However, I use that adapter exclusively on a USB 2 port and haven't tried it on my USB 3 port.

A little off-topic, but I have had very good success with the FTDI USB-to-RS232 adapters. Here is a DigiKey page for the the FTDI adapter.

Note: I have left the "Show all USB devices" unchecked in the VMWare USB set up tab - as when I checked it, I ran into problems with my Rockwell software protection dongle not being recognized.

I think you are right in the driver being the key to getting the VMWare USB 3 support to work.

Nick

"I think you are right in the driver being the key to getting the VMWare USB 3 support to work."

Yes, just need to find one that will work.