"new" equipment arriving today

sounds like you work in a printing plant, like i do. i have worked with some of these, kinda wish the one standard everybody went by was TI, it is so easy to work with. i ain't no full time programmer, but always wanted to go to ohio....in the summertime.

well, the pay kinda sucks, but there's plenty of beer, pizza, and takeout chinese. and lotsa coffee. BYO longjohns. i'm using mine!
:D

grouch

ps: not a printing plant; we make automotive bearings.

Well, all I have to say is it' a good thing you got
:site:
Were rooting for ya' buddy!

This was my first thought when I read the post. Hang cool, you couldn't have better support.

And remember my answer when the manager of the continous casting steel plant asked me (as about the 20th person) when the plant would be up and running again (cost n100,000 Ā£/hr.) and I told him "much quicker when people stop asking me stupid questions about when the plant's going to be up and running again". Thereafter I finally got a chance to concetrate on my job! That was about thirty years ago and I was about thirty to his fifty, but after 10 seconds he knew who had the upper hand!

Good luck!

How "friendly" of a plant closure was it at the old site? Along the line of Eric in post #8, beware that there may have been sabatoge, some minor and maybe some not so minor.

I just got back from a site where old equipment was being relocated and on one machine, two phases were intentionally shorted together inside the machine. Luckily the electrician was standing off to the right of the disconnect and threw it with his left hand as it let out a heck of a bang on closure. He definitely had to sit down and compose himself and get his heart rate back to normal afterwards.

What I ran into once was they used employees (the ones that were being laid off...) to assist in removal of the machines. These people didnt care what they cut or where. Instead of pulling the wires back and labeling them then pulling the conduit out of boxes they would just cut it anywhere and numerous times.

We had a good electrical crew doing the install but I still had to do alot of wire chasing.

rsdoran said:
What I ran into once was they used employees (the ones that were being laid off...) to assist in removal of the machines. These people didnt care what they cut or where. Instead of pulling the wires back and labeling them then pulling the conduit out of boxes they would just cut it anywhere and numerous times.

Personally, I cannot get my head around this type of mentality!!

Whether, you are facing redundancy or not, you should still take a pride in your work and do the job to the best of your ability. You should be professional enough to remove and label the cables, as if you were the one who would be faced with wiring back up. This is the sort of behavour I would expect from someone who cuts up lettuce or flips burgers for a living, not a skilled person! You are not messing the company up with this behavour, you are messing up your fellow electricians.

I have been in a situation where I was being made redundant and I still continued to work in a profesional manner right up until I walked out the door for the last time.

Paul

P.S The 'you' I kept refering to in my post is aimed at no-one in particular, unless you are one of those un-profesional people who do the sort of thing Ron was refering to in his post!

You mentioned BEER?

Let me see if I can figure this out?

Automotive parts and the name DANAtech? :unsure:
I think there are a couple of those close by. Yep,there are, that's one.

The pay kinda s***s.
I believe I could live on those wages. That's two.

Plenty of beer. beerchug
In your opinion, but I believe there is never enough, read my login name. Call that three, for purposes of rounding.

Pizza.
The only food group I can cook from. That makes it four.

Chinese Food.
Why?? You have beer and pizza (Pizza for daily requirement of solids)
No points, still at four. šŸŗ

Coffee.
Nope, I'm told I am too wired anyway. Back to three.

Longjohns.
Have my own and wearing a pair right now. Add two, at five.

Ability to work with a "Grouch".
Hey, I read some of your post before. I think I'd pay you to get to know some of what you have learned over the years. One point for willingness to learn, one point for sucking up. Put's me at seven.

Ohio.
Been here my whole life. That's eight.

Never found a due date that matched the "original" prediction yet.

That makes it nine out of ten.

I'm due for a day off in about two and a half months, give or take a couple of weeks. I have a pickup truck, so I can haul down enough beer for the both of us, for a day. When do I start.
Oh the airline tickets leitmotif wanted, make mine to Hawaii. The winter has been too long and cold.

if i buy any ticket to hawaii, it'll be for me!
i've actually been to defiance before, several years ago. thats just inside the arctic circle, isn't it? :p

i think the mechanics and setup guys are buying me a few extra weeks of time, from the looks of things today. the 150 ton press got laid on its side today, when they tried to scoot it with a forklift. this resulted in a busted bed casting, (the cast iron foundation) and minster machine works, (of minster, ohio) won't have it repaired till the middle of march. i can't wait to see how much more time the hammer jockeys get for me tomorrow!
;)

grouch

Oh my, Minster, hopefully if it has one of their feeders using an Indramat servo you have better luck then a company I know did. Their presses are great, the people are good too as long as its the press itself, some of the newer technology is beyond them.

I can remember some Minsters when I worked in a stamping plant. Nice machines, to bad the company ran them into the ground with poor maintainance (before I started). They had some nice eddy current drives and I learned allot about them. I hated climbing under them in the summer though, sometimes I puked! The parting solution the company used was animal based fat!!!!! Smelled like death! oh yeah and puke! šŸ™ƒ
Well it's a good thing you got šŸŗ
I actually liked the job, for the time it was TOP pay, about $24 an hour! That was back in the 80's!

cheers and good luck! Remember we're here for ya'!