New to AB panelview +600 & AB PLC

naeemmsc,

I'm in the process of writing a reply to this thread which I will post later. It may, or may not address your first question, which is relevant in this thread.

However, Forum etiquette...

Your second and third questions are related to very different subjects to the topic of this thread. They are also quite general and fundamental questions, which suggests you are at the learning stage. Both questions would require a new topic to be started by yourself and then you may receive better information or advice from Forum members on them individually.

I have noticed that you have started new threads before, albeit 2009 since you have done so. In case you have forgotten...

Click on the "start a new thread" link at the top of the main thread list to begin.

G.

Info & Considerations Part I

There are one or two (or maybe more?) things I'd like to clear up, or add, from what I have read so far...

theripley said:
By HMI graphics, I mean the graphics, animation, tags, screens, etc that is being "set/programmed" on the HMI....I would appreciate it if you share with me its "technical" term.

The "set/programmed" HMI "graphics, animation, tags, screens, etc" that you refer to are all part of the HMI Application, which is developed using FactoryTalk View Studio on your PC. Once you have developed your Application, and saved it, you now have an *.MED file, which is known as a Development file.

Once you create, or compile, your *.MED (Machine Edition Development) file for downloading to the HMI, you now have a Run-time *.MER (Machine Edition Run-time) file, which is transferred to the terminal.
If you decide to archive your *.MED file, you create an Archive *.APA (APplication Archive) file.
A Development *.MED file may be restored from either an Archive *.APA file, or a Run-time *.MER file, with some exceptions, which I won't go into.

theripley said:
In line with my personal quest to learn basic AB skills on PLC & HMI, I tried downloading a program to Micrologix1400 PLC. Here are the steps I followed: (Kindly leave comments as my procedure deviates from that of the user's manual).

1.) I turned ON both the PC & PLC.
Always a good start!
2.) I used 1585J-M8CBJM-5 cable (Ethernet) to connect PC to PLC. ...but do note...
This particular cable is an AB Ethernet patch cable, which has a straight-through wiring configuration. These are normally used for connecting Ethernet devices to hubs or switches, which use opposite transmit and receive pins to the connected device. As your PC's network card and the ML1400's Ethernet port use the same pins for transmit and receive, you would normally have to use an Ethernet cross-over cable to make a point-to-point connection. So how does this cable work here? Because the ML1400's Ethernet port supports auto cross-over (auto MDI/MDI-X), it will communicate with other Ethernet devices while using a straight-through cable. In the AB world, not every PLC will support auto MDI/MDI-X, such as an SLC5/05. So, if your intention is to carry the above patch cable for all AB Ethernet point-to-point connections, I would advise you to also carry a cross-over cable for such occasions where your patch cord will not work.
3.) I opened BOOTP/DHCP server.
4.) On the Relation list, I clicked new and entered the MAC, IP adress & host name. See AB5 picture The added connection is seen at the Request History portion. ...but note...
Did you select 'Disable BOOTP/DHCP' while assigning the IP address, so as to set the IP address static? BOOTP is enabled on the 1400 out of the box. If you power cycle the 1400, the IP address, Subnet Mask and Gateway addresses all reset. With BOOTP enabled, the 1400 will always look for the BOOTP Server to get its network settings. This is ok if you save the assigned BOOTP settings in a Relations List config file and always have the BOOTP Server running while connecting to this 1400 using Ethernet.
5.) I opened RSLogix500, clicked Go to comms then Online. ...but do note...
You obviously had already setup an Ethernet driver in RSLinx Classic. Going online without a project open is good for testing that you can actually establish comms with the PLC. However, I would advise that once you have assigned your IP address to the PLC, you go to RSLinx Classic first and try to browse to your PLC, before attempting to do so in RSLogix 500. You may have done this already. If it's your intention to always connect to this PLC from your PC, using the comms you are now establishing, then once you can browse to your PLC in RSLinx Classic, go to RSLogix 500 and with the offline project open, go to 'Comms', 'System Comms...' and browse to your PLC. Once highlighted, select 'Apply to Project' in the bottom right-hand corner and then 'OK'. This will save the project's path back to RSLinx Classic, i.e. your PC, for the next time you want to go online to this PLC. This is not absolutely necessary, it's just good practice.
6.) I opened the program that I wished to download to the PLC & clicked download.
Again, from step 5, you will be at this stage when you set the project path, before downloading.
7.) A pop-up message appeared (See AB2 picture). I clicked YES. and X...depends...
Again, this is more good practice than essential, in this case. The offline project has 'MicroLogix 1400 Series A' selected as the processor type. The actual PLC is a 'MicroLogix 1400 Series B'. You should select 'No' here and return to the project to change it. Do this under 'Controller Properties', 'General' tab, then 'Processor Type:' drop down list. This is not essential in your case, but if you were using any of the Series B functionality, you would have to do this. Note: 'MicroLogix 1400 Series A' is available in the 'Processor Type' list in RSLogix 500 v8.1 and v8.2. RSLogix 500 v8.3, or above, is required to select 'MicroLogix 1400 Series B'. If you are not using v8.3, and you don't need any of the Series B functionality, then downloading a Series A project to a Series B 1400, as you have done, is ok.
8.) Whilst the program is downloading, another pop-up message appeared (See AB1 picture). I clicked DONT APPLY. X...important!...
bce123 said:
basicly the popup asked if you wanted to use the 192.168.0.47 Ip address.or the Ip address in your offline program. you told it to use the 192.168.0.47,
if they are the same no sinificance.
Be careful here bce123...you are ignoring the warnings related to the serial channels 0 and 2. The Ethernet Channel 1 configuration is actually the least significant of the channels in this particular project as it is merely being used to download the project to the 1400. One of the serial channels is being used to communicate with the RS232 PanelView.

This warning indicates detected differences between the offline project's communication channels configuration settings and the settings detected in the processor.
The 1400 has three communication ports, but only the ports that it has detected differences in will be displayed in the warning. In this case all three ports have differences.

Notice the reference to 'OTHER' and 'CURRENT'. 'CURRENT' being the channel you are currently using to download the project. Also note the reference to 'WILL' and 'MAY' occur. If the detected difference is significant, such as a different protocol selected, or even baud rate for the same protocol selected, then it will state that communication loss 'WILL' occur on that channel. If there is an insignificant difference detected, such as a different timeout or handshaking setting, then the warning will state that communication loss 'MAY' occur on that channel. This is important to know as you may not be downloading your intended channel configuration for the port(s) you want to use.

(naeemmsc - this should answer your first question).

From your screenshots you appear to be using DF1 protocol to communicate from your 1400 to the RS232 PanelView. If you are using serial Channel 2 (DB-9) on the 1400, for instance, and it's set for DF1 protocol in your offline project, the warning has indicated that changing channel 2 in the processor's configuration 'WILL' result in communication loss. This means that channel 2 in the processor is currently configured significantly different than it is configured in the offline project.

By selecting 'Don't Apply' you have chosen not to overwrite the new processor's current settings with the settings you have in the old offline project. This could result in you not establishing comms with the RS232 PanelView using the DF1 protocol.

I would check the channel configurations carefully in the offline file. They should not have changed from the original unless you have changed them. If you're happy that they're set to your requirements, then select 'Apply' the next time you download.

Take note that the offline project's channel 1 IP address, etc, may be different to what you have assigned using BOOTP.
9.) I have successfully downloaded the program to the PLC.
Well done, but don't forget to check step 8 again.

QUESTION:
What is the significance of the two pop-up messages? Is it a call for worry?
Never worry, never hurry.

Part II next...

Info & Considerations Part II

theripley said:
bce123 said:
have a look at your orignal offline comm settings and compare them to your settings in the plc (online).
Original offline comm settings of FactoryTalkview ME? How?

I think bce123 meant for you to check the offline and online channel configurations for the 1400, not the communications settings in the FactoryTalk View Studio application file. This is to try to identify the comms method used between the 1400 and the PanelView in the original setup.

To do this...
In RSLogix 500, in the offline project, double-click 'Channel Configuration' and you should see a summary of the three channels settings. Use the tabs to view each channel in more detail and configure them. Maybe even post screenshots for us to see?

I know that the original project for the 1400 is not using default channel settings, as you are getting a warning message, while downloading, indicating all three channels are different to the new default 1400. I can understand Ethernet channel 1 seeing a difference as you have assigned an IP address using BOOTP.

Note: You have already assigned an IP address to channel 1 via BOOTP, but the original offline project may have BOOTP and DHCP disabled so as to use a static IP address. It may even have a different IP address, or Subnet Mask, etc, than the one you have assigned using BOOTP.

Checking the online configuration, for channel 0 and 2 in the 1400, will be of little use to you as the processor is new and you have not overwritten channel 0 or 2 yet with the original projects configurations. Checking the offline 1400 project channel configurations will tell you what the original PLC was set for.
However, comparing the offline to the online channel configurations would be of some benefit here. Maybe some screenshots of the online as well?

But that still doesn't tell me the physical connection made between the 1400 and PanelView? Only you know at this stage which channel is being used to communicate from the 1400 to the PanelView. A thought has occurred to me...that even the Ethernet channel 1 could possibly have been used here if a 1761-NET-ENI (ETH-DF1) interface was in play. Do let us know.

theripley said:
bce123 said:
basicly the popup asked if you wanted to use the 192.168.0.47 Ip address. or the Ip address in your offline program. you told it to use the 192.168.0.47...
How will I know "the IP address in my offline program"

The above hopefully answers this question.

theripley said:
As I have "successfully" downloaded my PLC program, I test .mer application on my PC since my HMI has not yet arrived. Here are the steps I followed, while I am Online with PLC:

1.) I opened FactoryTalk View Studio ME on my PC.
2.) I clicked Test application & ran the .mer file.
3.) The file ran, however, there are a number errors that appeared (See pictures AB3 & AB4). What might be the reason for these errors? I worry that the same error will appear once I downloaded it to the HMI. ...this is ok...but depends...
As bce123 pointed out, you are currently connecting your PC to your 1400 using Ethernet. This is allowing you to download the offline project to the 1400, but nothing else. The PanelView application, or terminal, was originally configured for serial DF1 comms to the 1400. Unless you can temporarily establish serial DF1 comms between your PC and the 1400, you will not be able to test the communications aspects of your project. Some developers do setup temp comms for testing from their PC to the PLC while still in development. This temp comms would not necessarily be the final method used between the actual terminal and the PLC.

However, you may indeed still get these warning messages on your terminal, but they will be related to a serial comms issue between the PLC and PanelView, not PLC and PC, so don't worry about it for the moment.

dmargineau said:
The IP Address of any PV+ terminal is not part of the HMI application!!!!

Careful dmargineau, you're getting a little bit mixed up here. The new terminal in question here is a 2711P-T6C5D8. The '5' indicates is has RS-232/USB only. The Ethernet/RS-232/USB model has '20' instead of '5'. So it's not using Ethernet, nor does it support it. It's an RS-232 model, and from the screenshots provided, it appears to be required to use DF1 protocol from the original setup.

But more importantly...
Regardless of which communication method is being used, whether the comms setup of any PV+ terminal is part of the HMI application or not depends on how the developer decided to do the communications setup for the terminal.

Two options are available:

1) You can configure the communication settings on the terminal: In Configuration mode go to 'Terminal Settings > Networks and Communications > RSLinx Communications'. Select your driver, configure it, and save.

2) You can create a driver configuration in RSLinx Enterprise under the 'Communications' tab in FactoryTalk View Studio. This then becomes part of the compiled Run-time file (*.MER) i.e. the HMI application.

When you download the Run-time file to the terminal, you are given the option to overwrite the communications configuration on the terminal with the communications configuration that is in the Run-time file. If you choose not to overwrite, or do not have a communication configuration setup in the Run-time file, then the running application will use the settings in the terminal's 'RSLinx Communications' menu.

Also, it is not a good idea to try setting the IP Address of a PV+ terminal using the BOOTP utility; BOOTP is generally intended to be used with "semi-dumb" Ethernet devices which do not support any networking settings GUI interface. Reboot your old HMI and then, within the Application Settings interface, select Networking and Communications and then choose the Network Adapter configurator; there, you will be able to acquire the IP Address of the terminal to be replaced. After this, it is simply a matter of repeating the same steps for the replacement terminal, not forgetting to Disable BOOTP and using a Static Address; upon setting the IP Address, reboot the terminal.

I think we can agree that this is all related to your mix-up above, as theripley was only referring to using BOOTP to assign an IP address to the MicroLogix 1400.

Here is a document, if you haven't already read it, that outlines the differences between all legacy PanelView Plus and PanelView Plus 6 terminals, including your old 2711P-T6C5D and replacement 2711P-T6C5D8.

Page 2 - Platform Comparisons

Right, bedtime!

G.