New to PLC, Help needed for a project

Arvind,

Based on your information, You may want to consider the FMD88-10:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/tri-plc/fmdseries.htm

You can download the programming manual directly from the web site. There is a starter kit that you would want to purchase. This includes programming software and additional hardware for program development and interface to the PLC.

If you have any questions feel free to post, pm or email.

Hope this helps.

ok, there is a little change in the set up to make it simpler. There will be no loose hatch like shown in the pic. I will be working with the same equipment in which the hatch is hinged on to the equipment. Also, the company which makes the device also has a gas flow mixer that can be used with the equipment. I have mailed them requesting one . I have attached the link of the equipment setup i will be using.

http://www.harrickplasma.com/HarrickPlasma_brochure.pdf

If you scroll down you can see that the gas flow mixer is connected to the RF equipment. Thats the setup i will be using. Apart from the change in setup, the process sequence remains the same. I have not seen then gas flow mixer, so i do not know how it works. Please take a look and let me know what you guys think. Just to be clear i will be using the model PDC-001/002 and PlasmaFlo Gas Flow Mixer
PDC-FMG/FMG-2

Apart from the change in setup, the process sequence remains the same.
If it will be okay to have part of the process controlled manually by turning on equipment switches, then you can get by like you planned.

To have the process completely PLC-controlled, you would need a few more relays to apply 120 VAC power to the new gas flow mixer and a few other things. Also you would have to modify the power cords.

Can i power the pressure and proximity switches using the PLC input? or do i need a separate power supply for the switches ? I was reading about sinking and sourcing and am pretty confused. Or is it all about how i wire the switches to PLC that i buy? Can someone explain the concepts and also suggest a low cost pressure switch that can function around 0.15-0.20 torr range.

I think you'll need a valve for the vacuum pump. Turing the pump off and on is not the way to control vacuum. You'll suck oil into your chamber when it's off[/QUOTE said:
I am not sure if i understood.Can you elaborate on this? Right now i just turn on/off using a switch.

If you pump down a chamber, then turn the pump off, the chamber will vent itself back to atmosphere through the pump. The pump has oil in it. The oil will bubble up the vacuum line along with the air.