TwinCat PLC v2.11 Question and help needed

RAYBRITO

Hi,
I have no knowledge of TwinCat:sick:
We have a system running TwinCat PLC v.2.11 on a XP computer, EtherCAT BECKHOFF EK1100, 8 24 vOLTS i/O, 4 Axys.and for HMI something call UVIS 4.7.
such computer stop working, I opened it and found a bad series of components on the mother board, so the MB is shot.
we have back ups of the hard drive.
we contacted vendor and they want 6K for a refurbished computer or over 35K to upgrade our system.
So I have a newer XP computer and loaded TwinCat on it (30 days trial)
Question can I upload the code from the PLC? (something like AB software)
Where can i find the UVIS software?
Any reference literature to speed learn TwinCat?
Any help will be really appreciated:D

EK1100.jpg

I've only messed with Beckhoff a handful of times, but if you have the TwinCat software and assuming that the trial version has upload functions, try following this example

https://www.dmcinfo.com/latest-thin...-and-monitor-code-on-a-beckhoff-twincat-3-plc

By the way, your photo looks like the Beckhoff EtherCAT equivalent of Point IO, so once you get online you should be able to monitor everything on that remote rack. And sorry but I can't help you with the HMI, I've never worked with UVIS

Last edited:
If you do have backups of the hard drive of the failed PC, it might be a good idea to contact Beckhoff tech support first. They might advise you on a path to restore the working TwinCAT program on a new PC or put you in contact with a local Beckhoff guru nearby. In theory, if there is a good hard drive image, everything you need is there.

You will also need to contact Beckhoff in order to restore the lost runtime TwinCAT licenses. Hopefully there is some information from the machine builder on that.

we contacted the Vendor and solutions are 6K for a refurbished computer (this all in one computer got fix 1 year ago bad touch screen) and they do not have one in hand it will take 6 to 8 weeks, the other option is to upgrade the system 30+K

Is the upgrade a complete control system upgrade? It sounds like the system used TwinCAT as a PC based control system. Although Beckhoff will push and recommend this, I highly discourage it for reasons such as your case.

I would suggest replacing the EK1100, which is only IO, with something like a CX8090 processor (if possible depending on the system). This will give you a more conventional style PLC system that is not so much dependent on the PC. Also you can then use about any PC and not need one with an Intel Ethernet chip set.

Depending on whether your backup hard drive has the project source code will determine if you can restore to a different PC or controller. If you only have the boot project, which is compiled version, then you can only run on the same hardware setup.

Search your backup for a .pro and .tsm file. They are the source files.

Is the upgrade a complete control system upgrade?, Yes, new servo drives, I/O's.

It sounds like the system used TwinCAT as a PC based control system., Yes, it is no PC no motion.

Although Beckhoff will push and recommend this, I highly discourage it for reasons such as your case., I think the same

I would suggest replacing the EK1100, which is only IO, with something like a CX8090 processor (if possible depending on the system). This will give you a more conventional style PLC system that is not so much dependent on the PC. Also you can then use about any PC and not need one with an Intel Ethernet chip set., I'll see about this option with my boss.

Depending on whether your backup hard drive has the project source code will determine if you can restore to a different PC or controller. If you only have the boot project, which is compiled version, then you can only run on the same hardware setup., can not find the source project

Search your backup for a .pro and .tsm file. They are the source files., I'll keep checking and looking for it.

For now the original PC is going back to vendor, to get it fix.
I was able to put a computer together and run the system from an old desktop PC, XP needs activated I have only 3 day to test and Beckoff 30 days trial.
:D

What is special about the PC that makes it $12k ? You should be able to use any PC with a Intel chip set for the Ethernet port. Of course changing the PC will require you having the program source code.

What is special about the PC that makes it $12k ? You should be able to use any PC with a Intel chip set for the Ethernet port. Of course changing the PC will require you having the program source code.
Nothing special, just I do not have the source code and licences, also vendor has special or proprietary software on it.o_O