Newbee questions about SLC 5/03

Luffe

Our customer has a site with 3 SLC 5/03 PLC's, one main PLC that gathers 7 AI from the two others via radio (no cable possible since on a rotating reactor).

One of the "slaves" has started blinking on the fault LED, we have tried to switch the CPUs and the fault followed the CPU. When I got RSLinks to communicate with the CPU it has an error.

"Error code = 0001h, Default program loaded due to NVRAM error. A corrupt CRC was detected (loss of battery power may cause this), or a power cycle in the middle of a user program download, initialize memory. or memory module load. Cannot go online or upload from DEFAULT processor (no program). You must perform download."

Since these PLC's are some years we have decided to change the batteries. Is it possible that faulty battery is the cause for this?

When we tried to connect to the other "slave" we don't get any response. Using RS232 DF1, SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView and everything else is just as the other "slave". What can be the problem? This PLC is working and no error.

I am no AB expert, only helping our customer that have some old AB PLC's. I am also not on site, I do all remotely and sends the local operator over her and there to connect or disconnect cables.

If there is no EEPROM in the processor, (and even if there is an EEPROM but it is not set up to take over) then a dead battery can for sure cause a progam loss. This would occur when the power to the PLC was shut off but the battery did not have enough charge left to maintain the memory in the processor.

If you changed the batteries in all the processors, you need to download a configuration to all of them.

There is a procedure for resetting the default communications on an SLC PLC which involves shorting two pads on the card. I can't seem to find the instructions now. Others will probably chime in.

Thanks.

We are not shure what may have caused the program loss, since there does not seem to have been a powerloss. But anyhow we're changing the batteries in all the PLC's.

My main problem now is to get communication with the PLC with the working program. I guess the reason that I can communicate with the faulty PLC is that it is in default program.

If I reset the communication as you mention, will this have an affect on the setup in the program? Since I don't know what the communication parameters should be, I don't want to reset them unless I have to.

What is the most likely driver to use when communicating via Satel radio to a PLC 5/11 CH0 (found out that the main PLC (SLC 5) uses a PLC 5 as a comunication module).