MicroLogix 1100 - PLC Newbee

Success...!

Ok, we are communicating now...!
Thank you (all) for your input and suggestions.

(With this laptop I only went on line over wireless, and the local connection was disabled among a few other things that were cleared up with the screen shots...Thanks again!)

Now what...LOL...!?

Do I build me some switches for inputs and lights for outputs or just go learn some basics like...instructions.

I'm sure I need to do both.

Success!

Thank you (all) for your replies and suggestions.

Among other things my local area connections were disabled.(I usually go on line on this laptop over wireless)

The screen shots were especially helpful..Thank you!

What now?! Build some switches for inputs and lights for outputs...?

I'm Open for learning suggestions...

EDIT: nevermind didnt see the second page of sucessfull stuff.

Ok I might actually be of some help to someone finally!

In addition to your computers ip and subnet being set properl (looks like they have), you will also with a crossover need to set the gateways correctly. Your gateway will be the ip adress of the 1100, as the gateway tells the computer what device is recieving and processing requests.

The problem you may have though is if the 1100 was setup with static adressing they will have set it to a static gateway itself that will be something other than your computers ip (unless you know the gateway the 1100 was talking to then you can just set your computers ip to that). If you know anything about how the network was setup I can give you a best guess but initially i would try this if using the bootp/dhcp tool doesnt work.

Field | Computer | micrologix
IP |10.1.160.1 |10.1.160.173 (already set)
Subnet |255.255.255.0 |255.255.255.0 (already set)
Gateway |10.1.160.173 |10.1.160.1 (probably already set)

x.x.x.1 is typically the default gateway number if it was setup to go over the internet or hook to a central router.

Well they are great for simple mock controls like a switch to light a item, but they are also great for automated tasks and the like. If you would like i can send you a sample program for you to check out that im currently using to control water stations (just let me know what ip you would like it to have as all of my items are set for static.

If you would like i can send you a sample program

budd,

That sounds like a great offer, if I new what to do with the sample or how to choose the ip address properly,,,

When I say newbee, I mean newbee!

I'm really starting this PLC quest from scratch...

I'm finding everything I can from the web.while trying to sort out what is worth while to pursue and whats just a sales pitch?!

Hey I was there 7 or so months ago and hell, i still am but with alot of practice and some language that would make a sailor blush I'm slowly getting better! I can't afford classes and the people I'm doing this for won't pay for them so I'm jsut having to teach myself (hence all of my stupid questions here on plc talk), these guys have really been a lifesaver!

The "sample" and i say it like that because this code is actually sitting at a water plant, is a backup system to a larger more expensive syste, it controls the pressure in the lines of the plant and has safety cutoffs on its overrides so that even if it is overridden it wont bring the pressure up high enough to do damage.

Since you have the bootp / dhcp server ill just set the ip to be dhcp so you can set it yourself to either the old one or whatever you need. Also changed the two analog sensors to read from the 0-10v analogs that are on the plc because we use 4-20ma analog extension cards for compatibility.

We do alternate motors but not in the software our panel builder at request placed a mechanical alternator in the panel so that we could more easily override if a pump went out or if we needed to force it to a specific motor for maintenance. (Much easier than teaching 18 people how to navigate an lcd menu).

The tru tank levels are there for the convenience and accurracy of our people and logs. Our sensors sit 2ft from the bottom of the tank so we have to do a little math to get the true water level of the tank! Calibrations are there for any discrepencies in our sensors so we can be sure on the installation date we are reading the correct level, we try to tune to within 1/10th of a unit. (Well I do, I'm the only guy doing this at the moment in a startup).

If you have any questions or if anyone has any comments feel free the more I learn the more effecive I am!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0osb7havw3prme/Plant 6.RSS?dl=0

budd,

That sounds like a great offer, if I new what to do with the sample or how to choose the ip address properly,,,

When I say newbee, I mean newbee!

I'm really starting this PLC quest from scratch...

I'm finding everything I can from the web.while trying to sort out what is worth while to pursue and whats just a sales pitch?!

Open it in your RSLogix Micro software, and if you need to set a static ip or just want to know how to go into channel configuration in the left hand menu then to the channel 1 tab (channel 0 is for the serial port), from there you can configure all of the connection settings for the plc!

If you dont have the rslogix micro: http://www.ab.com/linked/programmablecontrol/plc/micrologix/downloads.html

They will require you to make an account and login to download it but the RSLogix Micro Lite should work for getting started, I'll install it on my machine as well in case you have any questions that may make it differ from my main version.

Also it is beneficial to register as the account there will give you access to their knowledge base that has quite a bit of information!

Last edited:
Open it in your RSLogix Micro software

Hey that worked...
It looks good, now I'll just have to figure out what it all means...

Thank you...

I don't know if you have done any ladder before, but if you havent and you have done other types of programming the easiest thing i learned to begin with that helped me grasp the concept faster is ladder logic is this

|IF-----------Then|
|IF-----------Then|
etc etc

I tried to overcomplicate it when i first saw it and it confused me, once i got that down it started becoming exceedingly more easy to understand.