Newbie PLC Question

Hi Guys

I completed a PLC course a few weeks ago and I've decided to build myself a PLC training rig. I'm using an s7 200 as I managed to pick one up cheap on ebay. The course didn't cover wiring a PLC just ladder logic. So far I've got power and all my push buttons wired in and it works fine. My outputs will be lamps that are incorprated in the buttons. So far i've wired nothing into my outputs at all, picture attached.

Can anyone give me advise on how to wire the outputs? I guess the first is to bring power to the outputs, is that correct?

Thanks

Ally

20161026_225244.jpg

Ouput Wiring

Those look like DC sourcing outputs. Below where it says "CPU" on the picture does it say DC/DC/DC? The complete part number would be helpful. My guess is that you would connect +24VDC to the "L+" terminal, and 0VDC to the "M" terminal. Turning the output "on" in the PLC program would then connect the respective output to +24VDC. The output can be wired to the indicator, usually labeled "X1". The other side of the indicator, usually labeled "X2" would be connected to 0VDC. Having the indicator wired with the correct polarity is only necessary if it is a unidirectional diode, a simple incandescent lamp indicator usually doesn't care which way it is wired.

As you are New to the PLC World, Id like to tell you to Read the Manual, as this will be common place once you are doing plc programmer regularily new to you hardware always leads to that. Lol

As you are New to the PLC World, Id like to tell you to Read the Manual, as this will be common place once you are doing plc programmer regularily new to you hardware always leads to that. Lol

This. Download the manual, Siemens manuals have all the wiring info. This should of been your first port of call.

If your self teaching, reach for the manual first.

Hi would add the S7-1200 is fairly cheap and is more modern and relevant than the S7-200

No harm in training on the 200 of course

Thanks for all the input everybody. Turns out i was thinking about it all wrong. I'm not really an electrical guy more mechanical but i got it figured. I now have nice rig for me to learn on!

Thanks again!

I would recommend reading Allen Bradley manuals to learn on because the level of documentation is outstanding. Best I have seen in the business.

Automation Direct PLCs are inexpensive, software is free, and PHONE SUPPORT is free.
Documentation is decent but not on AB level.