newbie to PLC programming

Daniel45

I have been using PLC's very many years, I understand what they can do, but new to programming PLC's. I am working on programming an OMRON ZEN PLC for a very simple operation press start button run output 0 for 15 seconds then output 1 for 30 seconds and alternating until the stop button is pressed I have attached my attempt but I have something wrong, I would appreciate help in getting it right. I think once I see it correct I will have a better grasp of how to do this. Thanks

10-9-2013 10-44-44 AM.jpg

Here is a suggestion. There are other ways to do this. The "coil" for T0 and T1 should be switched on with contacts from Q2 on a separate rung.

I have been reading both the ZEN software support manual and the ZEN operation manual there is so much basic relay logic junk in the ZEN manual I jumped to the software manual and I haven't found what I am after there, I guess I will have to just wade through all the "noise" usually I can just pick this kind of thing up and figure it out with out having to read every word in the manual

Old Daniel is probably tearing out hair by now. Here is a big picture hint.
Remember that relays, timers, and counters have two parts: the operating "coil", and the contacts.

TIMER EXPERIMENT.jpg

Last edited:
In Lancie1's example, I1 has to be NC not NO for the latch to work,...
Yes, study on this some more. I1 should be open to look at a closed STOP pushbutton. About 99% of physical STOP pushbuttons have a Normally Closed contact. Why?

Because the physical STOP pushbutton should correctly be NC, what type of PLC instruction do you need to use to LOOK at or EXAMINE that physical stop button and determine if it is ON (N.C. or not pushed)? HINT: It is always the OPPOSITE of the state of the physical STOP button contact. Once you get this clear in your mind, you will avoid one of the most common beginner mistakes in your PLC programs.

I am sure that in your work with electrical controls you have found that STOP control pushbuttons are always N.C. What you really should have done is change the state of your I1 switch contact (not the PLC program instruction "contact") in the ZEN simulator from N.O. to N.C. Then it would have worked as I programmed it for an actual STOP pushbutton.

Last edited: