NJ301 with CJ1W-EIP21

dash

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm definitely not an Omron person, but I am attempting to get the Ethernet/IP node status of devices mapped to an EIP scanner (CJ1W-EIP21). The concept sounds easy from local distributor and manual, but it doesn't appear to work.

Also note that I am using Sysmac V1.14.

So the steps I followed are:

1. Opened CPU/Expansion Racks graphical layout, Right Mouse clicked on the EIP21 module and selected "Register Data Types for Units".

2. Went to the global variables and created a variable "EIPStatus" of data type "_EIPStatus _sCJEIP21_User_StaArea"

3. Went to settings for CJ1W-EIP21 unit "Status Area Settings". Changed drop down from "Default" to "User" and set the mapped area to my Global Variable "EIPStatus"

4. Checked programs, built controller, went online, performed download to controller.

5. Placed controller in program mode, went back to settings for the CJ1W-EIP21 unit and to the "Status Area Settings" and performed a transfer to controller. Placed controller back in run mode.

After all that the status bits for the EIP nodes do not update.

Any insight on what I am missing?

Does Omron have tech notes like A-B and Siemens, if so anyone know if one is available for this subject?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Also note that when I look in the CJ1W-EIP21 manual "W495-E1-08" on page 3-2, it seems to imply that I need to use the AT specification for my user variable that was created in step 2 and set in step 3 above. My confusion is what data area should this be mapped to? I would have thought that setting it in step 3 would have filled out the AT specification, like it does when you create device variable from the I/O map window.

Darren

Last edited:
Unfortunately the equipment has been disassembled for shipping. Will try after installation and will see if distributor has a test unit I can try it on.

Would be nice if the manuals were more clear.

Thanks,

Darren

Got lucky. They still had enough of the system together this morning to test. The "Publish Only" was the answer.

Is there a manual this detail is in or just your prior experience with Omron?

Thanks for the help!

Darren

Yes this is covered in the OMRON documentation. W501-E1-10 section 6-3-8 "Variable Attributes"

In simple terms the "Publish Only" attribute of a global variable allows external devices {PC, Touchscreen etc..] networked to the NJ to Read and Write to those variables.
With the new NA screen this is NOT required as the NA development is encapsulated within the NJ itself.