Noise problem?

I am so confused. I can not see what you see.

Sometimes its like pulling teeth to get enough information.

I guess we can assume you have the manual? http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1746-um006_-en-p.pdf

You have all the switches jumpered appropriately? It is set for single-ended?

It offers different operating modes and you know you have the correct one configured?...ie Rate mode uses time so the numbers may be different. Rate Measurement = Rate Period Count/Rate Period. I think you need to configure as pulse counter but not positive at this time.

In chapter 3 page 14 of the manual it explains and shows how single ended sinking output with pull up resistor is wired, just below that it shows the values of the resistor to use based on the voltage being used...2.2K is not shown.
npnhsce.jpg

The reason noone has offered useful informations is because you are providing limited details on the modules configuration, how it is wired etc etc.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I thought that was a typo, never used a VHSC before. I would think the same principle would apply for wiring and mode configuration in general.

We will see what the next post offers.

This has been going on for three days now. There are people here who are willing & can help you with your problem, but instead of providing the required infomation, you kinda keep repeating yourself.

Just please give up the exact make & model for BOTH the sensor and counter module. Also provide your wiring diagram.

I have attached a file of my wiring diagram. The model number of the encoder card is an AB 1771 VHSC, the paddle wheel sensor is a SeaMetrics IP80series flow sensor. It is a NPN hall effect sensor.

Finally all the Info

poisonfrog

Remove the resistor between the Paddle Wheel output and -24 volts. This resistor creates a voltage divider which will prevent the input voltage from going high enough to give a good signal to the Encoder Card. A-B also recommends the pull up resistor between the Encoder card input and the +24 volts be 2K. The voltage jumper should be in the 5 volt position (JPR4 open, JPR5 closed for Counter 0, Channel A Input) for an Open Collector output.

The 1771-VHSC Manual may be downloaded Here.

See page C-6 for the Open Collector wiring information. Also be sure the module is properly configured as per the manual and the Application Considerations on pages C-8 and C-9 are followed. These are particularily important for Open Collector outputs.

Yeah, but poisionforg says that he "adjusted the voltage power supply from 20VDC to 30 VDC... ". Now what? How can you make it work with incorrect voltage?

I will remove the voltage divider and try what you guys recommend. I also will have the voltage set for 24VDC. It may take me a few days before I can get back out on the machine... We are swamped. Thanks for the help