Not solving the cause of the problem

Mike and Alaric..

I thought it was just the UK that had come under the yoke of stupidity when it comes to these matters.. it seems the US is the same.

Another recent story (and again completely off topic so feel free to delete if it offends) happened about three weeks ago.

My granny, after a long stay in hospital, was transferred for a few weeks to a convalescence home before she could finally return to her own house. Being disabled she wanted a television in her room and my brother had a spare portable TV in the spare room at his house. I phoned the convalescence home to ask if it was ok if I dropped it off and they said that I could bring it but my gran wouldn't be able to plug it in until their own electrician had checked it for safety.

Their own electrician wasn't going to be back for three days and so potentially my granny wouldn't have had a TV for three days. So.. I just PAT tested the thing myself, stuck on a dated sticker and brought it over to her and plugged it in.

The next day they unplugged it and told her off for not letting their own electrician check it out first. She explained that her grandson was an electrician and that I'd already checked it and yet she still had to wait for their own electrician to turn up, check it, stick his own sticker over mine and then plug it in for her!!!

These kind of ridiculous rules are NOT led by any safety considerations, they are simply led by our paranoia around litigation. The sooner they round up all those "no win, no fee" idiots, sail them out to sea on a large ship and then scuttle it, the better...