O.T. FYI for those looking at updating your OS

RussB

Lifetime Supporting Member
It appears that the first impression of Windows 8 being another "Vista" is coming true.
Curiously, even though Windows 8.1 has been praised as being a significant improvement over Windows 8, Windows 8.1, at 6.6 percent, isn't much more popular than Windows 8 with its 5.9 percent.

Windows itself, with 91.5 percent, remains the dominant desktop operating system. Indeed, Windows 7, which moved up to 50.55 percent, saw its fourth straight month of gains.
http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-x-usage-declines-7000031181/

I have held off on most of my machines, I am still running 7 and will be jumping to Windows 9 when it comes out, I was told it will be a good move as I jumped over Vista also, I still have 8 just to support but not really using it

I first heard 9 will be out in October of this year but it looks like it may be the first part of next year..

This article is just stupid. Meant to raise FUD and drive mouse clicks.

Corporations always move slowly. I don't know the most recent numbers but a couple years back, corporations accounted for about 75% of all PC sales. So they are far and away the biggest source of XP users migrating forward. They are going to move to Windows 7 because they have had it in testing and limited use for years. Of course Windows 7 is going to benefit most from XP users upgrading.

We only upgraded from XP a short time ago but we are still stuck with IE8. Corporations don't upgrade quickly. Its too expensive for them to do so. However I fully expect in a year or so, I will see Win8.x become available at the corporate level before I see Win9.

Personally, I have used Win8.x since the first beta was made available. I run Win8.1 on my home PC and my tablet but my work notebook runs Win7. I frequently run VMs that run Win7 and even WinXP. So when I fire up an XP VM, if I happen to visit one of the web sites they track, did I get counted as an increase in XP usage even though I only run that VM once in a blue moon?

I think if you are going to count something, count licenses sold. If you are waiting for Windows 9, you are missing a lot of great new features in Win8 and you will always be stuck on the sidelines waiting for the "new next big thing".

OG

Last edited:
If you are waiting for Windows 9, you are missing a lot of great new features in Win8 and you will always be stuck on the sidelines waiting for the "new next big thing".

OG was this directed to me or just in general?

If me as I stated "most of my machines" I do have several with W8 and I dont see a big advantage of Windows 8 verses Windows 7 (unless you are using a tablet..) so a lot of great new features? I just dont see it

I suspect you won't see business' adopt Win8 enmasse unless Win9 Sp1 falls after the end of support date for Win7. Too much of a PITA to update,test,etc,etc,etc..

I have Windows 8.1 installed on half of my machines and Windows 7 on the other half. My math won't add up, but I have a few XP and Server machines too.

I don't like not having the Start Menu in Windows 8.1. That said, I have found Windows 8.1 to at least as stable and noticeably faster that Windows 7. My favorite feature of Windows 8.1? - Hyper-V built in, I think it is great and have used it to create a P2V farm for myself.

I know that there are software incompatibilities with Windows 8, but there are/were with Windows 7 too.

I don't care for the Metro (Modern App) Screen, but it is simply an annoyance to me, not a hindrance. The Desktop is easy to get to in 8.1 and by pinning my favorite programs to the task bar (something I do in Windows 7, too) even the lack of a Start Menu is becoming more of an annoyance and less of a hindrance.

This is nothing more than one users' opinion, but since I've been using PCs since the very early DOS machines and have even made forays into Unix and OS/2, I think it was worth providing a counterbalance to all of the nay saying.

I agree with genius. I just really haven't seen any reason to move to win8, unless you use a tablet. It doesn't even mean that Win8 is a bad product, it just isn't better enough to make most people want to upgrade. Unlike Win7, where there actually WERE good reasons to move forward from XP (security being the big one), most businesses still didn't migrate until forced because of cost/inertia.

Microsoft might love the fact that people upgrading gets them $$$, but they have to actually give me a reason to change. I think they were mostly just relying on new computer sales to drive the numbers of Win 8; I really doubt the upgrade/enterprise market was even a focus.

JHarbin,
Nice tool called Classicshell to add the startmenu to your Win8.1 PC. You can also make Win8.1 boot straight to desktop.
that is how i run mine. not too bad once you get everything set like you want.

http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

I've been booting straight to desktop since I got my Windows 8 machine and Windows 8.1 makes it easier.

I know there are add-ins to give you a start menu, but I'm not looking for a workaround for a minor annoyance.

I still have a few software packages that don't want to play nice in Windows 8.1 or I would migrate all my machines to it. The whole point of my post was that it is a great operating system. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

OG was this directed to me or just in general?

It was directed to anyone that makes that comment without even trying Win8. The "I heard Windows 8 sucks" crowd. Hey, if you tried it and you think it sucks, I have no issue. But waiting for the next version without trying it is just penalizing yourself.

To me there are a bunch of things that are significant enough that warrant the upgrade. In no particular order:
  • App support through the Windows Store
  • Faster startup and just plain faster throughout
  • OneDrive integration throughout the O/S
  • Love the social integration
  • Start screen with the notifications
  • Plays much better on my home network with my printers and scanners, server, Xbox, and other PCs.

For my tablet, I love that it can initiate internet sharing on my phone without my having to touch my phone. The touch screen makes Win8 really shine. It makes all the difference. On my PC I do spend most of my time in the desktop rather than Metro. On my tablet it's the other way round.

Of course there are things I would change too. That's true of any O/S.

OG

btw......I have never owned Microsoft stock directly. I'm not pimping them to boost sales or share prices. Just my honest opinions.

Correct, plus I have a laptop that had been running Win8 that corporate forced me to downgrade to Win7. It was noticeable in both instances. Win8 (for me) was faster.

OG

I have had a laptop with win 8 and now 8.1 for about 9-10 months

I think it boots faster.. I don't care much for it otherwise

If different is better, then it's better ... seems to me they just shuffled a lot of things around to be different, and a lot of little and no value bells and whistles

.... It just seems silly.

I had Windows 8 for a short period, One of those $15 upgrades when I bought a Windows 7 Pro disc. I admit that I may not have given 8 a fair shot, but time is money.

I really didn't notice any speed or reliability increase the short time I ran 8, but I sure did notice how different 8 is, from the lack of a 'start' button on up. Why they would change something that has become so ingrained since Windows 95 is beyond me.