O.T. FYI for those looking at updating your OS

To me there are a bunch of things that are significant enough that warrant the upgrade. In no particular order:
  • App support through the Windows Store
  • Faster startup and just plain faster throughout
  • OneDrive integration throughout the O/S
  • Love the social integration
  • Start screen with the notifications
  • Plays much better on my home network with my printers and scanners, server, Xbox, and other PCs.
Dont use it
Hardly ever reboot
Dont use it
Im not very social (on a PC)
I dont need that much information
Never had issues with W7 and dont play games

I guess it depends on what for and how you are using your PC.. for me (just for me) nothing on that list is significant, like I said before I have a few version of 8 and just not a very big fan, I dont use FaceBook, Twitter and half the other things out there... you need to pick your poison and thats not mine

It may also be that I have been teaching my customers on how to find the simple things like the START button... or their Device Manager so it really annoys me that they did not make the simple things better or easier for people

Also when my customers changed from XP to Vista it was a nightmare, when they changed to W7 it was a very happy time... now W8, its a bad time in the land once again (not as bad as Vista) so I HOPE when 9 comes out it will be a happy time once again

OG said:
btw......I have never owned Microsoft stock directly. I'm not pimping them to boost sales or share prices. Just my honest opinions.

I do own some bought when I was living in the bay area... I have had it a long time, should of dumped it in the late 90's

Cool. I haven't looked into Win8 at all. Do you know what MS did to accomplish that little feat?

Basically, MS changed the order in which the OS loads certain parts. The parts needed to boot and load a usable OS are loaded earlier than before, and other parts and programs that load on start, are loaded later. It's something of a slight of hand, but it does make the computer feel more responsive. Couple that with the advent of faster hardware, specifically solid-state drives, and you have a machine that really feels like a hot rod.

-rpoet