O/T: Hiring Tips & Questions

I am not hiring anyone, since I am a tech myself (controls/electronics), but I see the same things you all are talking about.

Take myself; I am 26, with an AS and 4 years of real world training. My actual degree is in Computer Programming (long story). To find a job around this area is extremely hard, unless you have 10 years experience, a BS, if not a masters.

I know when I was unemployed, I received a lot of the, you are under qualified BS. I asked one interviewer, "If no one will hire me because I am under qualified, when will I get a chance to become qualified?” He didn't answer.

I agree with Ron about motivation. I have seen a lot of people come into the plant I work in, and majority of them were there to draw a paycheck. I take pride into my work, sometimes, I may become over involved, and I just call it passion.

So, how is one to find good help, when the bars are set so high, no one can reach them? Sure the older techs meet them, but people like myself get frustrated because we can never reach it, because we are not given the chance.

Bteachman

I too work for a company in the midwest. I think the biggest problem around here with finding people to hire is that there are jobs to be had right and left. I know all the politicians keep saying the economy is in bad shape but you couldn't prove that by the number of job openings that are listed in the help wanted ad's every week. Our HR person said that for every 20 people that send in a job app, 2 people are hired. The other 18 have outstanding problems with the law of some kind (maybe we are just too picky). For every 20 that get hired, 1 person stays. I guess the trick is to keep them long enough for them to accumulate benefits so they have something to loose if thay leave. With the companys around here it's a revolving door with people hopping from one place to another looking for something better. Anyone with maintenance experience is a lock for keeping their jobs and if you're not happy where you are there's always a company down the street that will be happy to hire you for better pay. There are 3 plants being built around here (with in 20 miles)that are due to open in the next year so it's only going to get worse. Sounds like all the qualified people are already working for someone else for more pay. At least that's the way it is here.