O.T humour How many posters does it take to change a lightbulb.

Lightbulbs, lamps, illuminator.

Can anyone tell me why all the lamps on our machines have device tags that begin with H and then have a number? I know its because of IEC, but what whats the logic behind H?

Why do they have to charge for software for light bulbs anyway? Shouldn't it be included in the cost of the hardware?

leitmotif said:
Bud
Red was used to allow better night vision.

Interesting that you mention blue. Never heard or seen blue used to improve preserve nite vision. Did a MS thesis on UV and blue lite emitted from weld arcs. On that I guess I am fairly knowledgable BUT on other aspects of blue and applications I must admit I am in the dark (yeah I know bad pun)

Have been told that police car flashers are blue to increase drivers ability to see them at a distance. Also have been told that in USA fire trucks are often painted lime green to improve their visibility at nite.

Dan
Competition sights for target shooting often come with an array of different coloured filters to improve contrast (every little helps when the target is 1000yds away). Most shooters settle for yellow, some for orange and a few green-yellow. We bumped into a chap quite recently who was using a blue filter. Apparently he picked out the colour which gave him best contrast. He is also completely colour blind.

dskohio said:
Can anyone tell me why all the lamps on our machines have device tags that begin with H and then have a number? I know its because of IEC, but what whats the logic behind H?

đź“š H was chosen to "one up" the ANSI designator, I (indicator).

leitmotif said:
Bud
Red was used to allow better night vision.

Interesting that you mention blue. Never heard or seen blue used to improve preserve nite vision. Did a MS thesis on UV and blue lite emitted from weld arcs. On that I guess I am fairly knowledgable BUT on other aspects of blue and applications I must admit I am in the dark (yeah I know bad pun)

Have been told that police car flashers are blue to increase drivers ability to see them at a distance. Also have been told that in USA fire trucks are often painted lime green to improve their visibility at nite.

Dan

I have visited several times a dry docked Gato class submarine named USS Silversides. These visits were with our local Cub & Boy scouts. These visits also included overnight stays on the sub. When asked about the blue colored lights the curator/guide told us they were used for night vision reasons. The guide also told us that red lights were used until recent time when they switched to blue colored lights.

On one occasion we were lucky to have a old Gato class submariner on tour with us, boy did he give us the real skinny on all of the that went on these boats. He told us about the red nigh vision lights and how hard it was to play cards with a regular deck of cards. While this guy was on board he was like a young submariner again. While the rest of us stepped and bent over and stepped again through the bulkheads, this guy went flying through the bulkheads while running and folding up like an accordion. I could have listened to this guy’s stories for days.

RED/BLUE ???

Bud

Bud

Well I dont know boat I was on was built in 62. Gato class was late WWII to early 50 or so??. Were blue lights for general area liting or just indicating lites. We did use blue on some indicator lites.

Dan

ToolGuyFred said:
Competition sights for target shooting often come with an array of different coloured filters to improve contrast (every little helps when the target is 1000yds away). Most shooters settle for yellow, some for orange and a few green-yellow. We bumped into a chap quite recently who was using a blue filter. Apparently he picked out the colour which gave him best contrast. He is also completely colour blind.

Filters were and are used in B & W photo work to change contrast. If it works there it will work in shooting as you guys know.

Dan