Oh look, it's another 1 button question (But I'm not asking you to do my homework)

robpaige

Hey guys, from the reading I've done here you mostly seem to dislike the one button scenario, because it's brought up by students who should be doing their own homework. I get that, and don't want to insult anyone. As I've mentioned before, I have been thrown into the deep end, and am working to learn PLC programming with no prior programming experience, using the resources I can scrape together from the internet. What I'd like is for you guys to take a look at the ladder below, and give me your feedback. I have a guess as to what I think is happening (below the ladder) but I want to make sure I have the right idea before I send this off to my boss.

| I:1/0 B3:0/0 B3:0/1 |
|---] [----]OSR[-----------( )----|
| |
| B3:0/1 O:2/0 O:2/0 |
|---] [---] / [------------( )----|
| | | |
| | | |
| |O;2/0 B3:0/1 | |
| |-] [---] / [---| |
|---------------------------(END)--|

I'll post what I think is going here as a reply to this post.

Another alternator.

To save time, here is a collection of 10 methods, posted in the Downloads in 2008. Robs post is Method #5 on this list.

FIRST BUTTON PRESS.jpg SECOND BUTTON PRESS.jpg

Attachments

• ALTERNATOR METHODS.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Scan A: Button hasn't been pressed
Rung 0000
I:1/0=0, XIC=FALSE B3:0/0=0. B3:0/0 gets a 0 written in its box
Rung 0001
B3:0/1=0, XIC=False, O:2/0=0, XIO=TRUE
Branch:
O:2/0=0, XIC=FALSE, B3:0/1=0, XIO=TRUE
Output O:2/0 has false logic going in, does not energize. This pattern will hold as long as the button is not pressed.

Scan B: Operator pushes the button:
Rung 0000
I:1/0=1, XIC=TRUE B3:0/1 gets a 1 written to its box
Rung 0001
B3:0/1=1, XIC=TRUE, O:2/0=0, XIO=True
Branch:
O:2/0=0, XIC=False, B3:0/1=1, XIC=FALSE
output O;2/0 has a path of true logic to it, light comes on

Scan C: Operator hasn't released the button yet:
Rung 0000
I:1/0=1, XIC=TRUE, B3:0/1=1, still.
Rung 0001
B3:0/1=1, XIC=True, O:2/0=1, XIO=False
Branch:
O:2/0=1, XIC=True, B3:0/1=1, XIO=False
Output O:2/0 has false logic coming in.
And this is where I am uncertain:
Since the logic to the output is false, does the output de-energize, or does it remain unchanged?

Moving on:
Scan D: Button is released
Rung 0000
I:1/0=0, XIC=False, B3:0/1 gets a 0 written to it
Rung 0001
B3:0/1=0, XIC=False O:2/0=1, XIO=False
Branch:
O:2/0=1, XIC=True, B3:0/1=0, XIO=True
O:2/0 has true logic going into it, output will be energized.

Scan E: Button is pushed again
Rung 0000
I:1/0=1, XIC=True, B3:0/1 gets a 1 written to it
Rung 0001
B3:0/1=1, XIC=True, O:2/0=1, XIO=False
Branch:
O:2/0=1, XIC=True, B3:0/1=1, XIO= False
O:2/0 has false logic coming to it, and if the output de-energized (see my uncertainty above) then the light should turn off, and will stay off after the button is released.

BUT...The OSR function for B3:0/0 should lock B3:0/1 into a one once the button is pressed, shouldn't it? And if that's the case, my interpretation of scan C is incorrect, and the output on rung 0001 would have true logic to it, thus staying on, wouldn't it?

Thank you Lancie. The pics definitely cleared up some of my confusion.

The thing that seems to keep tripping me up is the button release stuff.

Last edited:
You might want to get a copy of the LogixPro PLC Simulator program. Then you could test this type of program on your computer, and see for yourself how it works.

Indeed, it's on the to-do list, along with hammering out bugs in the RSLogix 500 emulator software. I'm starting to thing I need a bigger hammer. :)

I think this is the perfectly written student question
Oh look, it's another 1 button question
HUMOR
(But I'm not asking you to do my homework)
up front about it.

BEST OF ALL
Posted example of work so far.

I predict if you keep this up
1. You will get very few if any nasty comments
2. You will get confused with all the help you get.

Dan Bentler

Dan,

Thank you, that's kind of what I was going for. I have tutored a bit, and can tell when someone actually wants to understand the material, or is trying to dump it on the engineering major. I've also dug around a bit on this site, and have seen behavior from students that I consider appalling. The trick is, I find those posts, and try not to do that. As far as the humor thing goes, I figure if engineering doesn't work out, there's a brick backdrop out there with my name on it somewhere.

Critiquing your analysis, using LogixPro at Scan Speed = 1 to view changes in instructions:

Scan C: Operator hasn't released the button yet:
Rung 0000
I:1/0=1, XIC=TRUE, B3:0/1=1, still.
This is your first error. B3:0/1 stays on for ONLY 1 SCAN. Remember the OSR on Rung 000? It only keeps B3:0/1 energized for the FIRST SCAN after the pushbutton is ON. On the second and subsequent scans, B3:0/1 = 0.

Therefore, after 1st scan, O:2/0 will be ON and seal itself in through bottom branch of Rung 001. It will stay on until this seal-in is released by subsequent button press.

Hi,
The PLC rungs in post #1 will work fine in a SLC500 or a PLC-5 controller, I have used it many times. Only thing to note is that the status of the O:2/0 output will most likely be a zero upon power up or fist scan after a transition from program mode to run mode. Maybe your application has this behavior as being desirable? You will want to test this power up behavior if it is important.

I havent tried this code on a CLX processor yet.

BD

This is your first error. B3:0/1 stays on for ONLY 1 SCAN. Remember the OSR on Rung 000? It only keeps B3:0/1 energized for the FIRST SCAN after the pushbutton is ON. On the second and subsequent scans, B3:0/1 = 0.

Therefore, after 1st scan, O:2/0 will be ON and seal itself in through bottom branch of Rung 001. It will stay on until this seal-in is released by subsequent button press.

I knew I was forgetting something. I'd forget my head if it weren't firmly glued on. Thanks Lance

Hi,
The PLC rungs in post #1 will work fine in a SLC500 or a PLC-5 controller, I have used it many times. Only thing to note is that the status of the O:2/0 output will most likely be a zero upon power up or fist scan after a transition from program mode to run mode. Maybe your application has this behavior as being desirable? You will want to test this power up behavior if it is important.

I havent tried this code on a CLX processor yet.

BD

For the problem I was given, it wasn't specified, so I left it alone in order to not complicate things unduly. That said, I thought the best way to approach these things is to have things be off at start-up unless safety matters dictate otherwise?

I would like to know which examples did not work. Every time I have tested, they all worked like a sewing machine. I can upload pictures to prove it, too.

Besides, your example is a rung rearrangement of Method #5, which does work, as it has for years.