Old Net Eni network

kirk

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a simple question I’m kinda embarrassed to ask.

If I have a micrologix 1500 on a net eni.
Can I replace my Ethernet switch with a WiFi Router ( https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar750s/ ) and get wireless access to the plc?
Can it be that simple?

The goal would be to be able to program the PLC as well as run a run time license (single station) for an RSView / FactoryTalkView program without running Ethernet cables.

Last edited:
As long as the PLC is on the "LAN" side of the wireless Access Point, rather than the "WAN/Internet" side, you can definitely do this.

That little travel router has 2 LAN ports, and 1 WAN port.

If your Ethernet switch has an available port, I would just connect one of the WiFi Access Point LAN ports to it, rather than removing the Ethernet switch.

I have done that permanently and temporarily.

In a waste water treatment system, that had 6 control panels networked together, in one panel i added an old WiFi router that I could connect to and get online with all the PLC's and the networked HMI's.

For other lines I carry around a cheap Amazon WiFi router my laptop knows and hook it to the lines network switch. I would follow Ken's advice and not replace the switch with a router, just add onto it. And if the switch doesn't have any open ports unplug one of the existing cables and plug it in one of the router ports.