Old panelviews

Does it show up with a yellow question mark or a red X icon?

The yellow question mark may just mean your RSLinx installation is missing the required EDS file to identify it.

Go to Help, About in RSLinx and tell us what version you are running.

Just for reference, these are the options for a 2711-XXX20. (see pic) light yellow highlight.

GIT/Mark also has a USB rig: Allen Bradley PanelView USB 2711-NC13 2711-NC14 USB

It's been a while since messing with one and PB32 works perfectly fine on W10P as far as opening and editing a program, but have never tried to upload/download from W10P.

The last time was with W7P with a 9300-USBS and standard serial cable, but do not remember if I had to use a null modem/gender changer or not with the serial cable I used at the time.

One thing I had to do was downgrade RSLinx to IIRC, something under 3.9 to upload/download.

I have no clue if anything was made better with RSLinx since then, but PB32 was discontinued a long time ago.

Attachments

• XXX20.jpg
    XXX20.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Just for reference, these are the options for a 2711-XXX20. (see pic) light yellow highlight.

GIT/Mark also has a USB rig: Allen Bradley PanelView USB 2711-NC13 2711-NC14 USB

It's been a while since messing with one and PB32 works perfectly fine on W10P as far as opening and editing a program, but have never tried to upload/download from W10P.

The last time was with W7P with a 9300-USBS and standard serial cable, but do not remember if I had to use a null modem/gender changer or not with the serial cable I used at the time.

One thing I had to do was downgrade RSLinx to IIRC, something under 3.9 to upload/download.

I have no clue if anything was made better, but PB32 was discontinued a long time ago.

Does it show up with a yellow question mark or a red X icon?

The yellow question mark may just mean your RSLinx installation is missing the required EDS file to identify it.

Go to Help, About in RSLinx and tell us what version you are running.
It has a yellow question mark, I have already left the shop but will check rslinx version in the morning. If that matches up I may try a different PV. The first was password locked and I couldn't get to config menu. This one I can get into config menu but I get a yellow ? or it won't see it (depending on ethernet or ethernet/ip driver). I have about 25-30 various PVs and they are all used auction purchase, so no idea of condition. A lot of variables for one so young with the force

If I were you, I would probably go thru condition, evaluate, make sure they work properly, and sell the good ones on ebay.

There are quite a few companies sporting old hardware waiting for cash to upgrade, but that never seems to happen, so they just buy what they can to keep things going.

I know a company last year that paid just under $2K for a 2711-K5A5 PV550, used and supposedly refurbished (but you can't believe that refurbished **** on ebay).

I got a call to see if I could come in right away to get it scooting, but I couldn't make it till about 10am the next day. They were down for a while so I called someone else that could get there in about 3 hours or so. They got there, the existing PV was complete toast, so no upload.

Fortunately, I had a copy of the pgm and emailed it to him. All went well.

I think you just need to go to the Product Compatibility and Download Center (I think Rockwell Support gets paid by the syllable) and on the left side of the page click Electronic Data Sheets. Then there will be a search bar. Replace the text where is says "EDS Files" with "2711" and you should see an item called "00010018*.EDS for 2711, 2706 Human Machine Interface". Download that file. If the file ends with an exe extension, run it and it will perform the download and place a folder on your C drive "RA\EDS" full of eds files.

Next, click on your Windows Start button and type "EDS" and you should see a program called Hardware Installation Tool or EDS Installation Wizard. Run it and select the "Register a directory of EDS files" radio button. Click the Add button, browse to the "C:\RA\EDS" folder and let it rip.

That should clear up the yellow question mark in RSLinx and may also allow the Ethernet Devices driver to work.

I think you just need to go to the Product Compatibility and Download Center (I think Rockwell Support gets paid by the syllable) and on the left side of the page click Electronic Data Sheets. Then there will be a search bar. Replace the text where is says "EDS Files" with "2711" and you should see an item called "00010018*.EDS for 2711, 2706 Human Machine Interface". Download that file. If the file ends with an exe extension, run it and it will perform the download and place a folder on your C drive "RA\EDS" full of eds files.

Next, click on your Windows Start button and type "EDS" and you should see a program called Hardware Installation Tool or EDS Installation Wizard. Run it and select the "Register a directory of EDS files" radio button. Click the Add button, browse to the "C:\RA\EDS" folder and let it rip.

That should clear up the yellow question mark in RSLinx and may also allow the Ethernet Devices driver to work.
I downloaded the file you recommended from RA download center but couldn't find the EDS install wizard or hardware install?? I am able to find the PV with an ethernet driver in RSlinx but still have a yellow ?. And in the config menu it shows to be "attached", guess that means it is connected

I do know the ip adress and when I tried this method it shows up as unrecognized. The other driver config doesn't show up at all
The bigger question is whether or not you are set up to communicate properly with it also.

What is the PV IP? What is your IPv4 set to on your pc?

Can you ping the panelview IP in command prompt? you did say your Achilles heel was networking. so lets make sure your PC is able to see the PV first and foremost before trying all kinds of other things.

I just tried to ping 4 tries sent and 4 lost, but if I unplug the ethernet cable the PV message ( small pop up window)changes from "attached" to "no link" in a big blue pop up window

EDIT: If you can't ping it, then I am surprised it gets a yellow question mark in RSLinx. Fix your network situation first.

This is what the EDS tool looks like on my machine. When I right click and "open file location" it takes me to a file that looks like this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\RSHWare.exe

Attachments

• eds.png
    eds.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 7
I just tried to ping 4 tries sent and 4 lost, but if I unplug the ethernet cable the PV message ( small pop up window)changes from "attached" to "no link" in a big blue pop up window
don't worry about what the PV says, you can have an ethernet cable link but no direct connection between devices on a network.

so what is the Panelview's IP address settings?

and what are your PC's network settings for that USB to ethernet adapter? It looks like you just need to get that fixed and you'll be able to see it in linx I bet.

It's unlikely that any modern installation of RSLinx Classic doesn't have an EDS already installed for a 2711 PanelView Standard -20 (EtherNet/IP), so I'm not sure why the device is showing up as "unrecognized", unless you're using the add-the-ip-to-a-table Ethernet Devices driver and that's a prologue to the Unrecognized with a red X on it.

Starting from the very basics: connect up with an unmanaged Ethernet switch and make sure both your PC and the PanelView have link lights on the switch port when you plug them in.

Examine the configuration menus for the PanelView to determine or set its IP address. If you don't know how to get to them, read up on the user manual or the Knowledgebase about rebooting and touching the corner of the screen.

PING the PanelView's IP address from a Windows CMD prompt or PowerShell.

Issue an ARP command from a Windows CMD prompt or PowerShell and look for the MAC ID of the PanelView in the ARP table.

Use the PowerShell command "test-netconnection" to see if your PC can make a connection the PanelView's EtherNet/IP protocol stack
(syntax, of course replace with the PanelView's IP)

tnc 192.168.1.10 -p 44818

Firewalls and VPNs and so forth can definitely interfere with the broadcast packets used by the "EtherNet/IP" driver, so I like to do all the simple steps first.

That PanelView doesn't have an embedded Webserver, or VNC, or use Telnet or SSH. You should only be able to PING it, and use TCP Ports 2222 and 44818.