Old QuickPanel Jr. 5" Monochrome comms

schmoleskin

Gents,

Trying to use an old QPJ with an S7-200. Can't even get started with the QPJ yet. Bought the programming cable (GPW-CB02 Transfer/Programming Cable RS232: HMI Tool Port to PC 9 pin D-Sub Port) from ProFace, Installed the QuickDesigner software in a Win2K Virtual Machine (Couldn't get it to install in XP). Have read all I could find in troubleshooting in the program and manual, and cannot establish communications to the panel.

I found one troubleshooting article that says to add: [boot] comm.drv=comm.drv to system.ini. Another spot says the cable only works with 9600, 8 none and 1 serial protocol. I'm using a Startech expresscard dual serial adapter CB2S650 in my HP DV9000 laptop, and Win2K seems to like these ports just fine, settings show up in device manager, etc.

The panel is old enough that I didn't install the software patch for the new chip that started shipping on '04, mine is an '01. Any attempt to download to the panel (Which needs its executable updated, I check that box) says:
Determining Device State...
Display Device Not Responding.
Turn OFF the display device.

Any ideas?

Locate the file called "courier.ini" to change the baud rate of QuickDesigner. It is not uncommon for that TTL to Serial programming cable to not work with some USB to serial adapters too, I would try several different ones.
What version of QuickDesigner do you have? The old gen1 hardware will work only with QD version 1.x or 2.x .

Thanks Russ, I am trying different COM port options, though one of them only works in XP or newer, and the QD software only works in 2K or older, sigh.

Will look for the older version of QuickDesigner as well. Thought it might work OK since the QPJ 5" monochrome unit is listed in the software drop-down list, but it hasn't yet. Have found a couple references to old FTPs that had v2.xx, but they're gone.

The whole purpose of this exercise is for my education, wasn't counting on getting this detailed an experience...

Thanks again.

Maybe this troubleshooting guide will help.

QPx1 Series Panels (TCP OS) "Obsolete" ----> Supported by QDV1.x and QD V2.x
QPx2 Series Panels (Digital OS) ----> Supported by QD 2.x , V3.2 and Up
QPx3 Panels (Digital OS) ----> Supported by QD 3.5 and Up
Qpx4 panels (Digital OS) ---> Supported by QD 3.6 and up

Russ,

Thanks again, I got the QuickPanel Jr. running! The trick turned out to be how the serial port was configured in the Win2K Virtual Machine I use to run the Quick Designer software. I added a physical port (COM2) from the host computer into the Virtual Machine, and had to set it to I/O mode "Yield CPU on Poll" (Not interrupt mode). Started working right away.

Some things I found out for your info:

*The QuickDesigner 3.7 Trial version (With all patches and hardware updates) works fine with the older QuickPanel Jr. 5" monochrome (A really old one).

*The autobaud setting in Courier.ini can be left at 38400, the unit can use this speed just fine, it self adjusts during the download.

Thanks again, now my self-driven PLC education can continue, it plays nicely and communicates with my little Siemens S7-200.

DaveO