Old subject 1747-pic using sp3, last attempt

Mickey, I've tried a standard 8/meg memory card and the PV550 will not read or format it. To obtain a AB memory card on Ebay for several hundred dollars is just unrealistic. I don't know if there is a difference in a standard memory card vs a AB card, can't believe there is. I've pursued this avenue with no results.
There has to be a hardware setup that works.
I have a DH485 breakout box. If I want to spend the time I'll make a pigtail up to feed power to the designated pins. I have the information somewhere in the stacks of information on this subject.
Thanks Again but still not there.

Mickey, I've tried a standard 8/meg memory card and the PV550 will not read or format it. To obtain a AB memory card on Ebay for several hundred dollars is just unrealistic. I don't know if there is a difference in a standard memory card vs a AB card, can't believe there is. I've pursued this avenue with no results.
There has to be a hardware setup that works.
I have a DH485 breakout box. If I want to spend the time I'll make a pigtail up to feed power to the designated pins. I have the information somewhere in the stacks of information on this subject.
Thanks Again but still not there.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=352967&postcount=2

Thanks for the link. I previously came across the first part of it about a week ago.
It seems per AB you can not connect a AIC ADAPTER to a PIC ADAPTER to communicate to a PV550.
I gave it some further thought and assigned the PLC to node 10. Configured the RSlinx PIC driver to look up to node 2 only. Well RSlinx doesn't care. It still recognizes the node as active, that didn't work, that would have just been to easy.
It looks like the only alternative is to supply power separately through the DH485 cable. I may give this a try tomorrow.
Does anyone know if a standard 8/meg memory card should work or is there something special about the AB designated one? I have several types of cards and the PV550 will not recognize any of them.
Thank You

Do you have another PanelView? sounds like your card reader maybe bad but if you have another PV you can see if it will read from that one

Yes, I have a second PV550, will see what happens. Both are new units.
Currently lost power, internet and cable for 36/hours in Ohio, just catching up.
Need to clarify a communication setup from a previous post.
Using com1 serial port and a NET-AIC ADAPTER, communication is OK. Still have the same issue with Firmware download utility, NETWORK TRAFFIC DETECTED, this will not allow a download.
Concerning the catch 22 issue with powering the PIC adapter tried one more thing.
I connected the PIC from com1 directly to the PV550.
From my vast array of AB adapters I had a 1747-AIC DH485 LINK COUPLER, which supplies power to the PIC. Connected the 1747-AIC link coupler to the second port of the PV550. Communication to upload or download works OK. The firmware download program still will not allow the download. RSlinx first must not be running to allow the firmware program to recognize the com1 port. Now receive a NETWORK IDLE MESSAGE.
Ready to stop wasting my time to just get the firmware download program to work.
It should have worked with the PIC and AIC link coupler setup.
I would have liked an explanation from AB on this one.
Thank You

Old subject 1747-pic to pv550 firmware download

This thread is beginning to get lost, still determined to find the solution.
It seems no one has a solution yet to be able to download a newer firmware revision to a PV550. Currently tried three non AB memory cards in two different PV550's and get the same results. Can not format or read cards.
One card for sure was formatted on laptop. Still not sure if a AB card is absolutely required to save or download programs to, maybe someone knows the answer to this question.
Being able to communicate to the PV550 is no longer the problem.
The problem still is that the firmware download utility will not allow the download.
Thank You

Does anyone know if a standard 8/meg memory card should work or is there something special about the AB designated one?

8 MB, or 8 GB ?

The original PanelView 550 terminals in the late 1990's used a type of flash memory card called "linear flash". I had a parallel-port connected "DataBook" drive that would let my PC read and write them.

That was the wrong horse to bet on, it turned out; cheaper devices using "ATA flash" technology took over the market, and PanelView 550 terminals with Version 3 or later firmware supported ATA Flash.

The PanelView Standard operating system, like most embedded systems of that era, supports only the FAT16 file system.

I've had very good success with PanelView Standard terminals with v3 firmware or later using CompactFlash cards of under 2 GB capacity, formatted for FAT16 and seated in a Type II carrier adapter. SanDisk brand cards are my usual brand; I've had a small handful of cheap Viking and store-brand cards that would not work.

A card formatted for FAT32, or NTFS, or any other file system will not work.

Old subject 1747-pic to pv550 firmware download

Mickey, thanks for the further information.
The PV550's I have are new and are running firmware rev. 1.07. That's the reason why I wanted to update the firmware and where all the communication problems started. The memory cards I have may not work due to the firmware revision in the PV550 as you stated.
I have no problem getting to the configuration screen to access the memory card functions available.
Still waiting for that answer to why the firmware utility will not communicate and download the firmware since I have established upload/download communication.

A card formatted for FAT32, or NTFS, or any other file system will not work. Per Ken this could be one reason.

I'll need to verify card is formatted for FAT16.
Type II carrier adapter and 8/meg card is being used to test type SanDisk.

Thank You

Last edited: