Omron C120

Madams74

I have 6 ancient Omron C120 PLC's. We have NEVER had to change anything in them in the 16 years of there service. We now need to communicate with them. I have LSS and I have tried to communicate using our adaptor HOST LINK that I have ONLY used on C200,500,and 1000's. It fits the plug perfectly on the top of the C 120 but will not communicate through LSS. I saw the PRO 15 was being used by some. Does anyone have any experience using LSS with this PLC and what is the link that I need to PIN out?

I've never programmed the C120 but I have noticed it's in the PLC set-up selection area in Syswin 3.4 . I have the latest version of Syswin on my laptop just in case I run into an older version Omron PLC. This software may still be available from your local Omron supplier. As for the cable call Omron they should have documentation still kicking around .

Wonder why they didnt put the C120 into the CPT or the Cx Programmer packages?

Too old - no longer available or supported. I do not think they have been available for quite a long time. C20 is well and truly gone as well. Even C200H is no longer available. C200HS still is but will probably be the next one on the scrap heap.

Grand old PLC - programmed quite a few. Power supplies were a bit weak.

You are not kidding about the power supplys. This is the problem with the unit. I found an old C120 on a machine we rarely use and swapped out the power supply.

Do you know where I can get a power supply? Do you know where I can find an old C120?

They come up on ebay about every week. The power supply out of this one will work in any model.
C120 on ebay

The C120 was a great PLC but the power supply was the weakest link. Introduced in 1983, Omron decided not to include the compiler for these units as there are almost direct replacements for it.
Regarding LSS, you must be using LSS V1. There was a seperate package for C120 called LSS500. Starting with version 2, the packages were combined. See here for a download of LSS version 3:
LSS3.02 @ MrPLC.com

C120 Host Link and Software

Hi Madams74,

We have several of the same type of PLC. We use a C120-LK201-EV1 / PN 3G2A6-LK201-EV1 host link adapter with the following DIP switch settings:
SW1 - 00000000
SW2 - 10100011
SW3 - 10101000

We use a DOS software called CAPS for most of the Omron PLC's and SYSWIN for some of the later models. CX Programmer seems to allow communication only with the 200 series PLC's.

Should you locate the CAP's software, it requires a software key (dongle).

Ahoi,
Norbert

WOW Norbert!!!!! My old favourite CAPS (Computer Aided Programming Software). That was a great package in it's day. Got me started with Omron because it was so good. Have not used it for many a long year. Still has the BEST monitoring page I have ever seen. 51 lines x 3 across - type in whatever you want. Really great. Shame all manufactureres do not have a look at it and incorporate that type of monitoring in current packages. I used CAPS even when Syswin came along to monitor programs in the way I wanted. You were able to fool CAPS into reading a later PLC. Not any more unfortunately.

Syswin was really good but CX-Programmer is even better. Unfortunartely does not support the old girls.

Contact your local Omron office. I have been able to get the power supplies repaired in Ozz in the last couple of years.

Last edited: