Omron Cj1m(CPU23) -Communication problem(Encountered invalid argument)

mbajer

Hi guys,

I have some communication problem between PLC and Laptop. In my factory we have few cj1m(CPU23) plcs and when I've tried download project from the controllers I got error message "Encountered invalid argument". After that there is no possibility to attemt any connection with plc until computer reboot. I tried to connect with other omron plc (cj1m - CPU22) and there wasn't any problems with the project dowloading. CX-One has been reinstalled twice and it still didn't help.
I hope that someone had similar problem and can help:geek:.

Have never seen that problem before. Does your version of CX-P support the processor? If it is an older version it may not support the processor and it is possible that is causing the error.

Does your version of CX-P support the processor? If it is an older version it may not support the processor and it is possible that is causing the error
Funny Bob when I made a similar comment about Unity a couple of months ago http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=75177 your response was

Geez!!!! And Schneider wonder why I will not use these things! Apart from maintenance costs for the software.

and again
I absolutely fail to understand why a current version of the software will not open a program written on an older version. The software should always be backward compatible - wake up Schneider.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct Geoff - my renewal is up and will have to pay the dough for Citect - not the Schneider stuff though - I still consider Citect is Citect - I have a huge addition to a job that I did a few years ago and will probably need support services - damn! Also have additions to a few other jobs in the next 12 months for jobs I did years ago.
The big one will probably finish up with 20-25,000 tags when finished - hopefully during the next 12 months so I will not have to fork out again - wish the client had kept maintenance up to date and then I would not have to pay out the dough!
Have you noticed the price for the Citect support for SIs has gone up this year?
My third comment remains valid!
Omron CX-One software is fully backward compatible and updates are FREE until there is a major upgrade - approximately every 18 months - and the cost is one off about $750 - affordable. Also support via phone/email is FREE - I have even had FREE support onsite when it was required!
When did Schneider ever do that? Come to site and charge a fortune. Oh, and do not start me on their BMS system (TAC they bought) - their guys have learned from Honeywell - 'covered in teflon'!
Can tell you many a story - just going through a pile of stuff on a job now - again.
All BMS contractors are 'covered in teflon' to be honest - anything that goes wrong is everyone else's fault - funny that all the contractors on this site are at fault with communications problems - false alarms - funny figures - have 20 contractors (world wide companies) got it wrong? Hullo!

Schneider email and phone support is free, admittedly this does not include Citect. I have also had free on-site support from Schneider.

Does your laptop have an on board serial port? or are you using a usb-232?
I'm running win 7 and my keyspan usa-19hs will not communicate under the native OS but running on my VM using win XP everthing works perfectly.

Yes, I was using onboard serial port but the os system is also win7. I've thought it might be a problem with the operating system but I'm curious why I could connect without any problem with cpu 22 then. I'll try to use pc with windows xp. Maybe this this will help.

just a guess - it might be a firmware issue - maybe the previous program is written for the CPU22

I know where was the problem. In Poland as a decimal point we use "," instead of "." and It caused an error during downloading project from this particular plcs. Changed region in windows resolve problem.