Omron PLC and HMI Remote access.

Nortech

Hi All,

We are looking at installing remote access for a client so that we can log-in remotely and troubleshoot the PLC but also so that the client can log in and control the HMI remotely. We were hoping to incorporate the Omron HMI Remote Viewer smart phone app.

The system includes a NJ101-9000 V1.14, NA5-9W001 and NA5-7W001. They are all connected over ethernet.

Can anybody tell me what I need to do to make this happen?

The client just has a standard WiFi router supplied by their internet service provider.

Do I just need to connect my Hub in my panel to one of the LAN ports on the WiFi router and enable some sort of port forwarding?

I’m a little clueless on this but I know it’s not overly difficult either. Have anyone been through this before that could provide some guidance?

Thank you!

Depending on what the customer is willing to pay I would check out Secomea(Use it all the time) or ****(Havent used it myself)
You get hardware router(Sitemanager) or software version which can be loaded on an existing pc.
The Sitemanager Has a few different options and you could also use the wifi version so no cabling is required from the customer Wifi router if the signal is sufficient.
Cheaper options like traditional vpns can be used but I dont like the hassles I get at certain customers regarding IT security etc

Depending on what the customer is willing to pay I would check out Secomea(Use it all the time)

Same here, we use it for remote access to our systems. Never used it with Omron though but it support most PLC/HMIs brands

Another option I have recently discovered is I_X_O_N cloud. Easy to set up and user friendly.

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the replies.

I’ve worked with an **** router before which I believe is similar to all of the ones mentioned.
It basically allowed remote connection to any equipment connected to the same Hub as it.

However, I spoke briefly with an Omron engineer and he mentioned that I wouldn’t need one of these routers if the factory already has a standard WiFi router. However, I couldn’t seem to get him to elaborate much.

Has anyone got any experience with connecting an omron PLC or HMI directly to a bog standard WiFi router?

Thanks!

However, I spoke briefly with an Omron engineer and he mentioned that I wouldn’t need one of these routers if the factory already has a standard WiFi router. However, I couldn’t seem to get him to elaborate much.

Sounds to me like a salesman who knows the buzzwords but not how to implement it. Since you have experience with the e w0n, I'd suggest that's a simple option.

I use an **** cosy for this, easy to set up through a wizard, they all link to an account so you can connect to them all from one place, i have had no issues with them.

edit, dont know why E W O N is starred out