On Studio 5000, is there a way to change from a local tag to a global controller

plctek

Basically I have created a bunch of local tags, is it possible to convert all of these to a global tag? Or would I need to re-add everything all over again?

If you're doing it offline, it's as easy as OperaGhost said. Or you can even cut and paste from one data table to another. Even if you have code using the tags, won't matter that after the cut your code won't compile because of the lack of tags: the paste will remedy that.

If online and if the tags are used in code, then you should probably rename all the tags you want (I usually add 'XXX' to the end), create the Controller-scoped tags with the right name, then cross-reference each XXX local-scoped tag, and edit the XXX back out on the rung so that the logic now points to the correct tag.

If you're doing it offline, it's as easy as OperaGhost said. Or you can even cut and paste from one data table to another. Even if you have code using the tags, won't matter that after the cut your code won't compile because of the lack of tags: the paste will remedy that.

If online and if the tags are used in code, then you should probably rename all the tags you want (I usually add 'XXX' to the end), create the Controller-scoped tags with the right name, then cross-reference each XXX local-scoped tag, and edit the XXX back out on the rung so that the logic now points to the correct tag.

That's how I generally do it when I accidentally create a tag with the wrong scope. I'll edit the tag and prepend an "x" to the beginning so it's easier to sort alphabetically. Same if I give it the wrong datatype (like I'm intending to use a bit in a DINT for a BOOL instruction but get in a hurry and forget to change it from what the software sets it to by default). I'll even do that sometimes when I'm removing extra code and there's a tag I know I can eliminate. I'll put an "x" at the beginning before deleting the rung so I can find it in the tag browser more easily.