Online PLC5 Ch0 reset?

Gyprat

Maybe someone ran into this before.
Sometimes Ch0 stops working on a PLC 5/60 processor. The only way we know how to reset it is by cycling processor power. Obliously it is hard to do when the plant is running.
Is there a way to reset it throuth the RSLogix 5 software while the processor is in RUN (or Rem. Run) mode?

We only use CH0 to send short ASCII code to a printer several times a day. Plant engineer tried replacing the processor but the problem is still there. It's been working fine for several years and just started doing this several weeks ago.

Maybe someone ran into this before.
Sometimes Ch0 stops working on a PLC 5/60 processor. The only way we know how to reset it is by cycling processor power. Obliously it is hard to do when the plant is running.
Is there a way to reset it throuth the RSLogix 5 software while the processor is in RUN (or Rem. Run) mode?

We only use CH0 to send short ASCII code to a printer several times a day. Plant engineer tried replacing the processor but the problem is still there. It's been working fine for several years and just started doing this several weeks ago.

I have seen this before with a PLC-5 receiving ASCII data from a vision system. In my case, the problem was persistent, and could go for a day or so before there were issues. I added extensive error trapping/buffer dumping code and got it to work for up to a week at a time. In my case, I could reset comms effectively by power cycling the vision system. I don't recall the details of what I did in ladder logic to help, but it wasn't really anything special and didn't fully solve my problem.

Since yours has worked fine for years, I must ask if something may have changed at the other end? Perhaps a degraded comm cable picking up noise?

Also, can you power cycle the printer and get comms back?

Cycling power to the printer does not help. We tried to connect to Ch0 with a laptop running Hyperterminal. No response from the processor.

I don't have the manual at hand but sometimes print commands have a queue that can get full and needs to be cleared. It might be worth looking into.