OPC Connection to Siemens

dajohnson64

Can anyone suggest the best/most practicable OPC server for getting data out of Siemens S7-300 PLCs and what would be needed in terms of hardware (interface?).

At the moment I'm just trying to see what methods are available, ease of implementation, and cost so that we can evaluate a project in determining machine OEE.

Thanks.

MPI, Profibus or Ethernet ?
How much data ?
How many connections ?

The answers to the above will decide which OPC servers and hardware combinations are possible.

The connection will have to be MPI with around 100 tags, maily discrete but with a handfull of analogue.

The CPU is CPU316-2DP with only X2 DP (programming port) available for any connection.

The X1 port on a 316-2DP is for MPI only.
The X2 port on a 316-2DP is for Profibus only.

Either way, one possible solution could be to use a CP5611 PCI card in the PC, and then use Simatic Softnet Profibus S7 as the OPC server.It works with both MPI and Profibus.

For 3rd party solutions, consider ACCON-Netlink-Pro from Deltalogic, and then the OPC server also from deltalogic.
It is an ethernet-to-MPI/DP adapter that works with both the MPI and the Profibus port on the PLC.

MHJ and IBH have very very similar products + OPC servers.

I dont recommend any solution that is based on a serial or USB PC adapter.