OPC Server and Client configuration on the same computer

plcnovel

Hi All
I would like to confirm that do i have to go through DCOM configuration settings if my OPC server and client is installed on the same machine? Rslinx 2.5.2 gateway is being used as OPC server. If yes, then can you guys direct me to some documentation which i can follow. Thanks in advance

No.
For OPC server and client on same machine I have never had to fumble aboutb with DCOM settings.

I am not 100 % certain that for a PC where some very restrictive security setting has been set, that you do not need to g through setting DCOM.

The "D" in DCOM is for "Distributed" i.e. remote COM settings. So they do not pertain to OPC on a local machine.

Thanks for the reply, but i am having issues running the OPC server and client on the saem machine. By connecting to OPC server i was able to connect and add the groups but i can not see any tags/ietms in OPC server?

You might first try toggling RSLinx run mode between "service" and "application".

Yes, DCOM policy can hose you with a local machine. There are various tutorials that cover the Windows DCOM security settings.

http://www.ascolab.com/downloads/dcom.chm
http://www.matrikonopc.com/support/knowledge-base.aspx
http://www.inductiveautomation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2259&p=2955&hilit=DCOM#p2955

This is a good time to mention that DCOM sucks and welcome the migration to OPC UA.

plcnovel said:
Hi All
I would like to confirm that do i have to go through DCOM configuration settings if my OPC server and client is installed on the same machine? Rslinx 2.5.2 gateway is being used as OPC server. If yes, then can you guys direct me to some documentation which i can follow. Thanks in advance

I thought that COM (not COM as in COM port, but COM as in Component Object Modeling) was supposed to handle that on a local machine, but I've had that situation. Minus the distributed aspect.

Yes, COM is used for the local machine and DCOM for the remote machines. Which OPC Client are you using? Did you try to connect to the Program ID RSLinx Remote OPC Server? I sometimes get this problem with RSLinx OPC Server ID. Secondly, which license of RSLinx are you using? I also faced a similar problem using OEM license with the same version of RSLinx. The only resolution for me was to downgrade the version of RSLinx to 2.50

Hi All
I am now more confused. Is DCOm configuration needed when Server and client are running on the same machine? If yes, then is it DCOM or COM settings?

I guess my next question will be how?