OPC UA Server To AB PLC

lazlowcv

Hi All,
I am new to OPC UA and I am trying to figure out the best approach to make this happen. I feel like I missing something simple here.

So I have a optical measuring machine (Sylvac) that I need to communicate with. It provides its own OPC UA server (Does not appear to have client capability). I need to communicate with this using an AB Compactlogix PLC. I know there are tons of hardware and software options to make the PLC an OPC UA server. Obviously the problem here is its Server-Server not Client-Server. I know this has to have been done before and I am sure I am missing something. Is there certain software that can handle this server-server communication? What am I missing? I'd like to avoid needing multiple different software's to achieve this if possible.

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject.
Thank You

I am not experienced with OPC UA, but I am fairly certain that it only works as server to client. I know that for example Siemens PLCs can be both server and client.

Rockwell doesn't have the best support for OPC UA; I think there's a third party module for an OPC UA server, never heard about a client. Hopefully?

You'll probably need some kind of middleware somewhere that takes data from Source A and sends it to Sink B. Could be PC software, maybe a protocol converter?

I am not having any luck finding a Client for an AB PLC. Everything seems to be Server. I've not found a protocol converter that fits my needs yet either. I was thinking Ethernet IP to OPC UA client converter but that seems to be a unicorn.

Thanks

To communicate from an OPC server to a second device, the server must have the "Driver" for the second device. The drivers for popular PLCs are usually built into the OPC server.

AB has great support for OPC UA, including auto-tag generation and variable connection parameters etc.

Is the OPC server Sylvac providing their own custom software? This is a little unlikely, as it's so easy to purchase a standard OPC UA server and integrate into machines using their API.
Worst case, you can run a secondary OPC server on the same PC like TopServer, and then do OPC-OPC communication to the Sylvac OPC.

After a little investigation, I can say this.
The only CompactLogix with an integrated OPC UA Server is the 5480, which is in reality running Windows 10 IoT i parallel with the PLC.
'Normal' CompactLogix do not have an integral OPC UA Server or OPC UA Client.

Someone else on the forum may have an idea how best to interface a machine with integral OPC UA Server with an AB CompactLogix.

I think this boils down to if Factory Talk links can be an OPC UA client. If it can, then you can use this to do the interface between the machines.
If not, then you need a server to server bridge. I am not sure that the one mentioned by widelto will work. The website dont say specifically that it works with OPC UA. They only mention "OPC" which usually means OPC DA, not OPC UA.