Open Transformer Mounting -- Bottom Of Cabinet???

Esieli

Hello,

I was going to mount the Xformer to the panel and still can, but it was brought up that we should just bolt it to the bottom inside of the cabinet.

Is there any rules against this? It's a 480-400 transformer.

Thank you!

Haven’t heard that before. We usually hang them outside to the enclosure since they generate substantial heat. Smaller transformers 1 or 2 KVa or less just get bolted to the backplane as with everything else.

Haven’t heard that before. We usually hang them outside to the enclosure since they generate substantial heat. Smaller transformers 1 or 2 KVa or less just get bolted to the backplane as with everything else.

That's what I planned on, but was just seeing if it's acceptable to mount it on the floor in the panel.

Unfortunately I didn't have any say so on the xformer, as I like them to be mounted outside.

Thank you!!

That's what I planned on, but was just seeing if it's acceptable to mount it on the floor in the panel.

Unfortunately I didn't have any say so on the xformer, as I like them to be mounted outside.

Thank you!!

Hi, well you're in Georgia, and it's hot and humid down there. So if there are sensitive electronics in that cabinet, and it doesn't have an A/C unit, you may regret this decision. I worked in a fertilizer plant that tried that and we had a myriad of problems that mysteriously went away when we moved the xfmr and added A/C. Hope this helps.

I have seen it done a lot... anytime you have explosion proofing you will put them in the cabinet and then purge the cabinet with fresh air, just make sure you supply the air to the opposite side of the cabinet and the exhaust out over the transformer so the heat is pulled from the cabinet

Hi, well you're in Georgia, and it's hot and humid down there. So if there are sensitive electronics in that cabinet, and it doesn't have an A/C unit, you may regret this decision. I worked in a fertilizer plant that tried that and we had a myriad of problems that mysteriously went away when we moved the xfmr and added A/C. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice.

This is going up north actually. I'm sure it still gets hot at times, so you're probably right.

I have seen it done a lot... anytime you have explosion proofing you will put them in the cabinet and then purge the cabinet with fresh air, just make sure you supply the air to the opposite side of the cabinet and the exhaust out over the transformer so the heat is pulled from the cabinet

I know people put them in cabinets, but do you also mean mounted to the floor of the cabinet? That was more of what I was asking about.

Thank you!

I know people put them in cabinets, but do you also mean mounted to the floor of the cabinet?

Yes the ones I am talking about are about 3ft tall 2ft wide and weigh over 1000lbs so the only place it can go is on the floor

What is KVA? How big is cabinet?
I actually use a 5KVA 480/120 control transformer (not sealed, like all external mount units) mounted to floor but my cabinets are 62W x 79H x 24D and I use an enclosure fan/filter.

I have seen many people mount them on the floor and I am not a fan of it for various reasons like the heat and also many people don't make covers for them and things (metal) gets dropped in and tools and things go bang and I have also seen panels with horizontal terminal strips mounting son the bottom have of the backplate right over the transformers making it a working hazard.

They can also be touch to troubleshoot in that mounting position. It's a practice I have always disliked and that most people I have encountered that had to work with them disliked but in the end, it's what your customer will accept and be happy with because it's their baby once they accept it from you.

Nothing is EVER mounted to the floor inside my cabinets because that is where all of the service guys need space for documentation, laptops and troubleshooting. If it’s needed inside the box and not on the backplane it’s going on the side wall away from any area that might need service in the future.

I have seen many people mount them on the floor and I am not a fan of it for various reasons like the heat and also many people don't make covers for them and things (metal) gets dropped in and tools and things go bang and I have also seen panels with horizontal terminal strips mounting son the bottom have of the backplate right over the transformers making it a working hazard.

They can also be touch to troubleshoot in that mounting position. It's a practice I have always disliked and that most people I have encountered that had to work with them disliked but in the end, it's what your customer will accept and be happy with because it's their baby once they accept it from you.

We either use a Plexiglas cover over the terminal strip (Nema transformer) or specify touch safe terminals (IEC). IEC style preferred.
A 5 KVA is a little heavy to mount on back panel and too obtrusive to mount to outside of panel.....stuck with floor.

Transformers are notorious heat generators, you may consider to install them OUTSIDE the control cabinets, for example on the top of the cabinet where they wont be in the way. Obviously the type used have to be suited to install like that.