Opinion on OPC Server for Cimplicity-Siemens

dYoast

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello to all. I have been reading the forum for a bit, but I did not see a specific post for my question.

I am working on integrating some Siemens PLCs into Cimplicity Plant Edition. After looking at the GE Fanuc forum, I though I would try for a good opinion here.

I have looked at Kepware and Applicom. I would prefer to have a software based solution to avoid problems with hardware updates and also enable the use of a laptop.

Please give some opinions on OPC Servers.

Thanks.

Hi dYoast.

I am not sure I understand your question.
OPC is an open standard, so in any OPC server will in principle work with any OPC client.
And OPC is a software standard working on Windows PCs, so it is in principle a software solution.
You may still have to use some comms hardware if you want to connect via MPI or Profibus. For ethernet, the normal NIC that is standard on any PC is enough.

I think the Applicom OPC server you mention is exclusive to an Applicom Profibus card.

What is it that you want to achieve ?
What network type will you use ? (MPI, Profibus, ethernet)

I will be using an Ethernet network.

What I am mainly asking for is opinions such as "I use x-brand and have had no problems" or "I tried z-brand and had problems".

I am simply trying to gather information before asking the company to spend money.

I use Simatic Softnet Ethernet Lean.
It works for me and is quite cheap too (half price or less compared to other OPC servers).
It is limited to max 8 connections.